It’s All Fun and Games Until Your Kid Touts the Benefits of K-Y

OK, ABC Family channel? (Emphasis on family.)

You were a lifesaver when the hubby and I were incapacitated during the great mystery pizza sauce hurlfest of December 2007, but do you really have to air a K-Y massage oil commercial at 2 on a Saturday afternoon during Doctor Doolittle?

To quote Miss C:

“Look at that mommy. It makes your skin glow!”

We’ve had the TV off all day and this is what I get within 20 minutes of turning it on.

1. Amy says:

Oh I know!! When I see the erectile dysfunction ads I hold my breath. Shark will ask sooner or later… And the “adult phone lines” ads that start and are seriously relentless after about 9:00. Shark is sometimes still up at 9 so I’m always trying to change channels when those are on. They drip sleaze.

Amy’s last blog post..Un-Disney

2. Jenni says:

We don’t watch TV (plenty of DVDs, just not TV) so I haven’t had to deal with commercials yet. But I remember being so completely embarrassed when the tampon commercials would come on when I was a teenager. Or kissing scenes when just my Dad & I were watching. But I don’t think I ever saw a KY commercial. Poor you!

The thing is I will typically only let the girls watch Nick Jr. or Disney, sprinkled with a little PBS or ABC Family. We don’t even turn on the local evening news, unless it’s to catch the weather forecast.

I’m not a prude, but day-um! They could have chosen a better ad to run on the “family” channel during primo weekend afternoon viewing time! 😉

Miss C is such a sponge that she’ll start telling her class and kindergarten teacher about K-Y oil.

4. Geekymom says:

My daughter, 5 at the time saw a video game commercial during Saturday morning cartoons that had stripers in the background.
    ” Look, mommy, I like those girls butts”
    I was so upset that I wrote letters and sent emails. It’s just wrong.

5. Kathryn says:

Oh I know! And I can’t stand all the maxi pad and tampon commercials all the time. I love how my 4 year old boy is constantly asking me, “mom what is that?”. Um, “Uh, it is kind of like a band aid for ladies, hon.”. Sheesh!

Kathryn’s last blog post..The First of Scrolling Saturday

6. Jennifer says:

LOL LOL LOL! My hubby still likes to make remarks when femine products come on “like oh wow did you see that”, he’s such a smart butt. Why on earth of they think they need to air these commercial during kids shows. And they wonder why kids grow up like Britney Spears, uh hello.

Haven’t tried it for my face but… did try it for shaving once (read it in a parent mag) and it works. They also recommended using it in your hair to tame fly aways, and it kind of worked too. Fly aways drive me nuts especially in the winter with static so of course I just had to try it. See what happend when you’re bored.

Jennifer’s last blog post..Tip of the Week

7. kara in kansas says:

Ahhh, I envy beth C. I still cannot accept the fact that my twins have outgrown Noggin.

Never heard of the shaving thing-might try-.

Maybe I would understand if it was a weekday and that commercial was on, oh, no, that is just wrong.

I don’t think I’m a prude and I wondered if it was some other “massage oil” commercial if it would have bothered me as much. The K-Y brand, though, seems like they’d be better off targeting the regular ABC network.

The commercial itself is really not offensive. It’s a couple running around on a sailboat. You know…pre massage! 😉

I don’t know. Another one that would kill me is if they had aired an Axe men’s body spray commercial.