The Family That Stays Together Too Much During the Holidays Eventually Goes Insane

I don’t know about your household, but the family togetherness factor is spilling over into excess and Miss C does not go back to kindergarten until NEXT TUESDAY. Miss A’s daycare was open today and I dropped her off at 8:15 a.m. and headed to work for a few hours with Miss C.

I ran into a daycare mom the other afternoon at our local playground while out with the girls in an effort to get their ya yas out so that they might go to bed by 8:30. The other mom has three children and the youngest is a super yummy chunky four-month old boy. She was clearly having trouble keeping her toddler from escaping the confines of the large fenced-in playground area and simultaneously holding the baby (her 5-year-old was off with a buddy on the playground) so I offered to hold him. Ahhhh sweet new babies. It was all I could do to stop sniffing his perfect little bald head.

The mom and I were sharing the joy bitching about how the holiday break for the kids was starting to feel like a neverending journey and I asked if she’d gone back to work yet after having her newest baby. In true mommy confessional fashion she admitted, “Oh heck yeah. I’d kill myself if I was home all the time!”

Yesterday the hubby and I were both off work and we treated the girls to lunch at McDonalds and a drive in the country, followed by a trip to the mall play area with me. Then Miss C had a High School Musical karaoke extravaganza afternoon playdate with a 7-year-old buddy who scored a Wii from Santa.

I have to admit we’re all running a little ragged from lack of routine. Not to mention the holiday decorations are still not putting themselves away, despite my fervent prayers for telekenetic mommy super powers.

decorations.jpg

Vive la educational TV a la Sponge Bob, Moon Sand commercials, and Barbie Island Princess movie marathons! And I now know why stay-at-home moms need Mother’s Day Out programs and regularly scheduled playdates.

1. supermama says:

Boy do I hear that. If I was a stay-at-home mom I would poke my eyes out by the end of the day. And there’s nothing like a two-week break from school to help me remember! Kudos to all you SAH moms, you are saints, I have utmost respect for what you do!

Also. If you get that telekenetic thing worked out PLEASE let me know because my living room has barfed rainbow plastic toys that I don’t have any space for in my house…

I took down the XMAS biz the day after Christmas. It’s the only way to do it, unless one celebrates the following 12 days after…maybe that’s what you are doing? If this is the case, you’ve got 4 more days hon!

Anne’s last blog post..Party madness

3. mamatulip says:

Dude…I am WRECKED from the Christmas break. Julia doesn’t go back to school until the 7th and I am COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS. It’s not that I don’t want her around — I DO — but when her and Oliver get together it is MAYHEM. Total mayhem. They were so awful yesterday I was close to tears…

mamatulip’s last blog post..Past Christmasses Revisited: 2005

4. tammy b says:

pity me.
    my 1st grader home til the 7th
    my twin preschoolers go the 8th
    at least my husband went back to work today – after 10 days off.

Tomorrow Miss C is hanging out with the hubby. It’s just a LONG break here at the end. I’m dreaming of Caribbean getaways for future winter breaks.

We saw Miss C’s soccer coach at the library today and her kids are in private school and go back tomorrow. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law both teach in a neighboring county and their classes resume Friday. Sigh…we apparently have the longest break EVER.

And also I found out, while hooking Miss C up with her first official library card, that we had $20 in fines. GAH! But they’re running a special food drive so I can wipe away our fines with canned beans.

6. Rachel says:

Princess goes back to 2 day a week preschool on Tuesday and I’m so ready it hurts! Thank you for getting why some SAHM need the mommy’s day outs etc… If only everyone would get it 🙂
    Oh well, you’re brilliant what can we expect?
    Princess saw the singing island princess head today at Target. Oh the begging commenced. I told her I’d shred her DVD if she didn’t quit asking, she quit 🙂

Rachel’s last blog post..The Double T.

7. Jill says:

I do not feel one bit of guilt over admitting that going to work keeps me sane. You hit the nail on the head regarding lack of routine over the holidays. I was off 12 days and by about day 7 I was nearing the proverbial edge. I had to come back to work to get my sanity back.

Jill’s last blog post..His & Hers New Year

8. Amy says:

We go back Monday! Wohoo! I can not wait. The day when I just had the youngest (who entertains himself playing with his toys) was so nice, I could see staying home then. But then the other two came home and all thoughts were out the window. My middle does not do well without the structure so therefore neither do the rest of us.

9. Pattie says:

*Amen* to that! we certainly do need those Mom’s Day Out Days…I’d kill myself otherwise *LOL*

I’m still trying to figure out how I can work doing something I love but be flexible enough to be involved with the schools. I want a job!!!!! 😉

My four year old is home until next Monday. The kicker was she’s been out a full week before the Christmas break. She’s almost had a month off from school. I am trying to enjoy it because I know they’ll all be grown up before I realize it, and I’ll miss these days.

Pattie’s last blog post..Kitty Prison

Pattie:

I totally can relate to wanting to cherish these days, but then also getting stir crazy. 😉

My current schedule with my employer is pretty perfect for me as a mom because I go in for four hours Monday through Thursday mornings and then work the other 16 hours from home. We live about 2 miles from Miss C’s school (and that close to daycare, too) so I am able to pick both girls up every afternoon and still have a career. For that I am most thankful. I know I’ve got an extremely flexible work arrangement. Otherwise, I don’t know if I could still keep working!

11. Your best friend says:

I got to go to the office today!! It is kind of nice to be around adults and people that are not shorter than me!! They boys go back Monday to school…I almost can’t wait!! And the little fellow will continue asking “where are we going today?” Even though we have been no where!!

12. Nap Warden says:

SAHM here…I do go crazy! With two little ones under 2 1/2, and the temp. at freezing, it’s hard to get out of the house. We all drive each other crazy!

I hope this doesn’t go to spam, I would totally bum if I couldn’t comment here:)

Nap Warden’s last blog post..When Did I Become Spam?!?

Nap Warden:

The weather makes a HUGE difference. I’m actually thinking of requesting a schedule change this summer so that I can just go into work one morning a week and have Miss A in more of part-time preschool. We have three playgrounds within about 5 miles of our house (one is walking distance), we can go swimming at the Y, and we have a big wooden play set in the back yard. Then you can get the kids worn out.

I’m glad you’re not SPAM here! 😉

14. Liza's Eyeview says:

Oh that’s what “Grammies” are for – to give you a break 🙂 Don’t tell your mom I said that – LOL! Actually, I know you would – ha!

Anyway, I hear yah. When my kids were your kids age, going to work was my “rest” time 😉

Once you master garnering and using the telekinetic supermommy powers, let me know – I might just fly you to Hawaii to teach me how.

Liza’s Eyeview’s last blog post..Happy New Year – We’re Sick