After School Special

If your husband leaves a pair of hair cutting scissors on the bathroom counter and you don’t notice them when you come home, it is quite possible that your 5-year-old daughter will decide to fix her bangs after school (i.e. cut them completely off at the scalp).

I knew Miss C was a repressed hair stylist, but she has never attempted to cut her own hair. Hey, there’s a first time for everything.

Thankfully she loves headbands and she’s already had her school yearbook photo made or I would have freaked out. Actually, I started to, but she was very proud of herself. We had the “don’t ever play with scissors” talk and then I put those bad boys back on a top shelf in a cabinet that locks.

Maybe I need to forget about my temptation to fix my roots myself. I don’t want to give her any more grand ideas about hair styling.

1. Rachel says:

I promise I am absolutely laughing with you. I’e been there, oh have we been there. My very own repressed hairstylist cut nearly all the hair off of the left side of her head about 1 inch from the scalp nearly two years ago. She has fine blonde hair and it’s not like she had any to spare!!! Finally two years later we have almost all the same length hair. I have threatened her with baldness should she ever pick up the scissors again. Where were we, her bad parents while she was doing this? I was praying to the porcelein god (2 months pregnant) and my husband… he was watching football. She was sitting on our bed. We touched her head and hair came out in clumps.
    I feel for you. I really do. But, I so needed this laugh!

2. Momo Fali says:

Oh no! I did that…in the fifth grade. I was old enough to know better. As a matter of fact, I tried to cut my own hair a couple of years ago! I had to have a hairdresser-friend come to my house and give me an emergency repair!

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

I think it’s a rite of passage for little girls. My daughter cut her hair just before she turned three. It was a couple of weeks before Christmas, and I actually made ornaments for the occasion. I clued a lock of hair on the inside so it hung down, then used a paint pen on the outside to draw a pair of scissors and write her name and the year. It’s still one of my favorite ornaments!

4. Ellen says:

We want pictures!

I trimmed my bangs with safety scissors in 1st grade. During class, actually. Surely these days I’d have been diagnosed with ADD and medicated, but back then I just finished my work later than everyone else (or never). That day everyone else was done and in reading circle and I was at my desk “working” and decided to go ahead and clean up the bangs.

Bluegrass Mama:

I think she “flushed” the evidence! I only found one smallish sliver of hair on the edge of the sink. Either that or she just washed it down the drain.

I just don’t want anyone at school making fun of her. I brushed her hair to the side and she has on one of her favorite headbands so it’s not too bad.

Uh, yeah.

p.s. I do need to take a picture. I just can’t bring myself to post one. Hmmmm. That would come back to haunt me when she’s a teenager and reminds me that I tormented her on the Internet. 😉

6. Holly Schwendiman says:

Oh you’ve joined the ranks. So much fun isn’t it? LOL I loved the post on angels too. Yesterday in the car my son and I were talking about some deeper stuff and he suddenly said “Shhhh mom. Jesus is talking to me.” Man, to be a child.

Hugs,
    Holly

7. Charla says:

I am so afraid of this sometime in the future…

I also think a picture is in order…come on, don’t leave us hanging!