From the Britney Spears Guide to Parenting

During dinner Monday night I placed a few raw baby carrots on Miss A’s plate as I wanted her to eat something orange this week besides candy corn. (Oh sweet nectarine of the Halloween ghosts and ghoulies and primo potty training bribe material. You pee in the potty around here and you get two candy corns! I hear a poop goes for half a dozen!)

Miss A’s eyes opened wide, she smiled and then exclaimed, “CHEETOS!” as she reached for a carrot.

I did not correct her.

And she ate them.

1. Colleen says:

Ah, the candy corn has great political sway in our household too but alas I never thought to use it as a potty bribe. We’ve been using M&Ms but haven’t had much success with that. Tonight I’ll pull out all the candy corn stops. Thanks for the idea!

2. Momo Fali says:

My five year old is a freak of nature. I keep a fully-loaded vegetable tray in the refrigerator and when I get it out he yells, “Veggies! Yay veggies!” My eight year old daughter then exits the room as fast as she can.

3. SAHMmy Says says:

Ha! Love it! I’ve convinced my son that Kashi trail mix bars are “candy bars!” You should see the sneers on other moms’ faces when I offer him a “candy bar” when he’s melting down at Target–priceless 🙂

4. Terry Heath says:

Ah, but did these Cheetos turn her face and hands orange? You’ll have to fix that expectation! lol

I’m new to your blog, and love the word play in “manic mom day” and “every little thing she does is tragic”. The 80’s were good times!

5. Tammy Baldwin says:

Jamie,
    I have started reading your blog and love it! I hope you still remember me, it has been so long since we have seen each other or talked. (Hint: BBQ). Question, do you make your girls eat what they don’t like? I have certain grandparents that think I should be making my children eat what they don’t like. I don’t make them, ever; however, I do encourage them to try new things. What do you think?

6. SistaSmiff says:

Did you see Jerry Seinfeld’s wife on Oprah this week, plugging her cookbook? I thought at first it was gonna be nothing but fluff but it really looks good. She has a cookbook called “Deceptive Delights” and she purees vegetables and puts them in everything.