The Way to a Man’s Heart: Beer

I am not a big fan of cooking so when I decided to make a downhome Southern style dinner last night of comfort foods in celebration of fall, summer heat be damned, I knew the hubby would be tickled, to say the least. He is the master chef of Casa Blonde Mom Blog.

I made meatloaf seasoned with a dash of beer, onion, green pepper, and tasty bread crumbs from an onion roll, an awesome creamy macaroni and cheese recipe from Southern Living, and turnip greens stew. Now the turnip greens stew is made from frozen greens, but for me this meal was the equivalent of a big freakin’ deal.

I made everything but a dessert. Just as well, as the macaroni and cheese probably has 9,000 fat grams. But oh is it foodgasmic.

The hubby came in from work shortly after 6 and I had dinner ready and the dishwasher was whirring in the background. Of course to accomplish this dynamic feat of domesticity, the girls were plopped in front of the TV as a distraction. Hey, something’s got to give if I’m going to channel Martha Stewart on a weekday.

“So, would you just explode with joy if I’d also made dessert, like homemade apple pie?” I asked, knowing he was thrilled to see dinner ready for a change, instead of the grill pre-lit with nothing on it.

“Well, you know I’m not big on sweets,” responded the hubby. “I mean…I like beer.”

1. nap warden says:

Oh you’re making me feel bad, I never have dinner ready when the Hubs gets home! Beer is not desert, unless it’s chocolate beer (do they make chocolate beer?);)

2. Bluegrass Mama says:

You sound about as domesticated as I am. But I knew about the beer/heart connection a long time ago!

I really enjoy cooking when I “make time.” It’s just that other things get in the way. Cough.

I also have a killer chili recipe, it’s just been too hot here for fall foods. Waaah!

4. Terri says:

Yup…this must be the right place. Don’t think I see any X rated stuff here, so I believe your mom got your URL correct.
    I’m the one from Cedar Key that she emailed and thought I’d pop by here to see your place.
    Very nice blog and your daughters are beautiful.

5. Pattie says:

Yummy, Jamie! Umm, do you have any leftovers???? Now that I have been living in the South for the past year & a half, I can appreciate a real mac and cheese dish. I am hopelessly addicted 😉

I’ve been missing you, girl! Sorry I have been such a bad commenter. I have been in lurk mode lately.

6. Emily says:

You’re freakin’ awesome. Lately A’s been doing more of the cooking…and we’re kind of in a food rut (same ol’, same ol’)…

How did that greens stew turn out?

7. Jen says:

Nah — you’re all wrong. One of my sisters passed along some extraordinarily profound wisdom to me while I was young and single:

The woman that aims for a man’s heart through his stomach is aiming about six inches too high.

‘Course, if you’ve already got him, his stomach is then a worthy target (and a good distraction, occasionally.)

Jen your comment is still making me laugh.

OK..here is the turnip greens stew recipe. Trust me, I never liked turnip greens until I was pregnant with Miss C. This is a great recipe, though (from my sister-in-law Jill.) I did not add the sugar this time and they were fine.

Turnip Greens Stew

2 cups chopped cooked ham

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

3 c. chicken broth

2 (16 oz) pkg. frozen chopped turnip greens

1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen onion, red, yellow, and green peppers (celery optional)

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. crushed red pepper

vinegar to taste

Saute ham in hot oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat 5 mins or until lightly browned. Add broth and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 mins.

9. kailani says:

Beer? Well, at least he’s easy to please! hee hee

BTW, I notice you run BlogAds on your site. By any chance do you still have invites available?