Every Little Thing She Does is Tragic

Is it just me, or is 5 the new 15? Apparently I did not get the parenting memo. This would not be the first time.

Miss C has been a roller coaster of emotions since starting kindergarten in August. Overall she loves school and her teacher, gets daily smiley face stamps on her behavior chart (except for one day), and she’s made a lot of new friends, but she is sensitive about the smallest of details.

We carpool with a neighbor and Monday afternoon pick up is especially angst ridden over who will get to sit in which identical, non-descript, navy blue booster seat. My neighbor’s daughter always picks the one identical, non-descript, navy blue booster seat that Miss C apparently has had her heart set on riding in for all of the 5-minute ride home. Tempers flare. Arms are crossed. There is much audible sighing and huffing and whining. Oh Lord. The WHINING. Can’t we just all get along?

Yes, emotions are running high and the new lists of sight words that are being sent home by Miss C’s teacher are also the source of great stress. “I can’t do it mommy! It’s too hard!” She mastered the first list with ease, but this second one is, of course, more difficult. She’s doing a great job of memorizing it, slowly but surely. I am finding that too much homework at once, just like too much sugar, isn’t a good thing.

This weekend she burst into tears, told me her room was ugly, and that she wanted a Disney Princess comforter, instead of her pink and green Waverly paper dolls bedding (OK…so perhaps she is outgrowing it, but mama ain’t so keen on Disney Princess bedding.) I saved the day by suggesting we flip her comforter over to the reverse floral side and letting her rearrange her room. Whew. Totally pulled that one out of the boo-tay. I mean what female in her right mind doesn’t enjoy a little decorating challenge?

Most days I’m riding a fine line between encouraging Miss C to always try her best and telling her to knock it off, go to her room, and quit acting like a…like a…5-year-old who has just started school.

Parenting was so much more black and white when the girls were babies and I knew when to anticipate their first smile, their first steps, and their first tooth. There aren’t really any guidelines for “first hissy fit.”

1. Bridgett says:

It may be voodoo, but I remember some sort of parenting letter going home from our preschool about crises of childhood–that right before they start losing their teeth is like a mini-adolescence. It’s a big physical change, and it comes with emotional change as well…not that this made Sophia’s May ’07 any more pleasant by knowing.

2. Jayme says:

Thanks for dropping by my blog Blonde Mom! 🙂

I have a six month old daughter and reading your entry was like watching a sneak preview of the years to come. You’re right about parenting being black and white when they are babies. I actually have the “What to expect…” book to guide me.

Maybe you should write the guidelines on “first hissy fit.” I’m sure coming back to read all about that.

🙂

3. Jennifer says:

Mine is 4.5 and you’d think she was PMSing some days. Fits of tears over missing her sister when she hasn’t seen her for all of 10 seconds. huh? I don’t have patience for stuff like that. I guess i better grow some eh?

4. Alli says:

The Monkeys are just loud….and they break things…and wrestle….not sur which is worse. At least she doesn’t break your furniture!

p.s. you are the master of cute titles!

5. Amy says:

Oh, dear God. Just wait. There will be a day when you wish with all your might for a hissy fit of the “my room is ugly” kind. This is the prep work…
    (Sorry…I’ve been there, done that. My baby girl is 18 and the ride ain’t over yet!)

6. malia says:

I know!!! I remember when she was five saying, “She’s 5 going on 15!” I’m sorry, but for us, it’s only gotten worse.

For the most part, JBelle’s fairly even keel but then she’ll melt down over the most insignificant of things (at least to my mind). And that’s the thing. I have to constantly remind myself that in her 7-year-old world, things that are seemingly insignificant, asinine and petty to me are HUGE to her! That’s what has helped us the most, trying to view the world through her eyes and not oversimplifying her emotions just because we don’t understand them. Acknowledge that what is happening is important to her and find ways (like your “redecorating” project – very smart!!) to diffuse her intense emotions without belittling her.

7. Renee says:

Hey Jamie – I wish I could tell you it gets better with girls, but . . . oh well, I’m just going to keep my mouth shut. ;~)

8. Amy says:

To mimic what has been said, 5 is just the beginning. But my 5 year old boy is struggling too. I think the new pressures of having everything dictated gets to be too much and some days it is easier to let them screech it out in their rooms, with a big bottle of something to calm us down. Luckily for me my 5 year old is my baby.

9. mamatulip says:

I swear it’s like we are living parallel lives sometimes. Julia was a huge, huge ball of emotion yesterday, and when she gets going it gets ME going, and it’s this big vicious emotional cycle.

BLAH.

10. Holly Schwendiman says:

Baby I feel your pain. I think they are hitting teen emotions and struggles WAY earlier. I feel like I’ve been dealing with it since mine was 5 too and she’s only 10 now!! Ug.

Hugs,
    Holly

11. Momo Fali says:

You should be scared. Be very scared. I just got into a near-yelling match with my eight year old daughter over regrouping subtraction. Long division is going to be tough around here.

12. Liz says:

Ah, yes…the first hissy fit…so tragic…welcome to the club, momma. How about a nice chocolate martini!?!?

13. Helene says:

Glad to hear that mine’s not the only house with a 5 year old suffering from the estrogen bomb (that’s what hubby calls it, when the girls get unbearable)

14. cmhl says:

girl, i have a kindergarten girl too,a nd I feel your pain!

her most recent dramatic uttering? “Today is the WORST day of my life, and it just keeps getting worser and worser!!!”

15. Filtering Life says:

Is this what lies ahead? Can you give Midol to children? Someone seems a bit crabby. Great thinking on the room rearranging! Whoooo…that could have been ugly!

OK now ya’ll are making me laugh. CMHL I have not heard that one YET. I’m sure that one is coming! I have heard, “Mommy this was a HORRIBLE day.”

It’s like an estrogen time bomb.

17. Shireen says:

I too have an almost 4-yo toddler who’s acting like a grumpy teenager who’s complaining about practically everything everyday! She’s driving me bonkers!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and I’ve hooked you up.

18. SAHMmy Says says:

I feel you…right now we’re enjoying a three and a half year old whose hero is the teenager from High School Musical (name escapes me–Troy in the movie) I thought I had 9 more years of sweet-babydom! The attitude-throwing and dramatic antics do crack me up though–probably not the best parental response 🙂