My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And Although I Don’t Hate Jesus, I Am Getting Pretty Tired of This Weather

You have to be a long time Jimmy Buffett fan to know I’m referencing a song from 1975.

Oh no, don’t tell me you’re a Parrothead and then admit your repertoire of classic Buffett only includes Cheeseburger in Paradise and Come Monday.

I’ve resisted the urge to write about the heat wave that has taken over Nashville the past two weeks (it’s 103 degrees outside as I type this), but BUT it’s making me crazy. It’s so hot no one is going outside and our schools even ran on a half-day schedule this week. I know, I know. I’m a wimp. But we also haven’t had rain in weeks and our lawn is dead and our trees are losing leaves like it’s fall and I’m starting to daydream about cool crisp mornings and colorful fall leaves and wearing soft comfy sweaters and my favorite black boots with jeans and…oh wait a minute we won’t have any colorful fall leaves because ALL OF OUR TREES ARE DYING BECAUSE IT HASN’T RAINED IN WEEKS!

OK, bear with me, I’m a little cranky today since Miss C, who gets nothing less than smiley face stamps daily for excellent behavior at kindergarten, is fluctuating between acting like a perfect angel and a spoiled brat. Also, my wireless Internet connection keeps hiccuping on me.

I came up with a couple of fun indoor projects to entertain the girls this afternoon.

We baked chocolate chip cookies (the break and bake kind.)

And we made these fun crayon cookies from old broken crayons. Here’s our finished product. They look like crayon bottle caps or Reese’s Cups.

Both activities required the use of the oven, which obviously means I’m not thinking clearly. Tomorrow we may fry eggs on the pavement just for giggles.

We should be making popsicles and daiquiris.

p.s. it looks like a “cool front” is on it’s way…yea

forecast.jpg

1. jen says:

Do you know one of the local stations here(Charlotte, NC) has resorted to playing Christmas music in hopes that it will make people thin of cool weather. Not only does it NOT make me think of cold weather, but it’s making me even crankier. The last thing I want to hear in 102 degree weather is “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire….”

2. Alli says:

Can you believe my boys have football games today!? Luckily my two little ones are sick…..I get to stay home!!! I know that’s terrible- being happy your babies are sick.

A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

“I’m just tryin’ to get by, bein’ quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin’ and shove.”
    —the wino and I know (My Favorite Jimmy tune!)

Alli:

The Wino and I Know is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE Buffett songs…you and I need to get together and listen to obscure Jimmy Buffett songs and have a margarita or a Corona or fruit tea or something. I love it… 🙂

4. malia says:

Sooo…how’d you like the rain last night?? Maybe God reads blogs? 🙂

It’s funny you mentioned the fall thing. I remember thinking a couple of days ago, “Why do I feel like fall should be here when it’s 105 degrees outside?” And then it hit me. The dead, yellow leaves all over our backyard and driveway. “Looks” a lot like fall, just enough to fool you for a second as you stand looking at the backyard from your air-conditioned dining room! But this morning! Ahhhh, relief! When I took the dog out, it was still cool from the rain last night, the smell was absolutely incredible and it really did feel like fall for a few minutes. Maybe there’s hope yet!

Malia:

We actually sat outside on the front porch last night and waited for the rain…we were like kids looking for snowflakes! I started to do a rain dance but decided that might scare it away. 😉

6. Mrs. Fussypants says:

Can we get a margarita (and wireless internet) at the zoo this fall?

I just had a yummy one at Mexacali Grill tonight!

your weather now is what we experienced last year. lots of things died and going outside was punishment in and of itself.

make a pitcher of lemondade and go with the flow. winter is right around the corner!

cough.

8. Ricardo says:

Ah, now you can say,

“The weather is here,
    wish you were beautiful!”

But quit looking at me when you say it!