Would This Be Appropriate for PTO Meetings?

As Miss C’s Excellent Unstructured, Unscheduled, Mama Depended a Little Too Much on TV Adventure celebrating the end of the daycare era and the beginning of kindergarten comes to a close, I have come to the not too startling conclusion that I really am a better mother, or at least slightly less frayed around the edges, if I am not around my children 24/7. I also found that the witching hour turns into witching hours where I pay homage to the gods of children’s television way too much if I don’t schedule some sort of daily outing, even if it’s to TCBY to practice serious decision making skills, such as M&Ms versus Reese’s Pieces sprinkles.

I truly have admiration for stay at home moms and parents who home school as I am apparently not cut from that cloth. I’m not saying I couldn’t be a stay at home mom or wouldn’t grow to love it (in fact I think I could grow to love it really quickly), I’m just set in my ways. I’m accustomed to going into the office and spending some time away from my children. I’m especially thrilled that with my new work schedule my actual in office time is now only 16 hours a week. But I am used to my own routine and morning commute and so are the girls.

Speaking of cloth, I heart this shirt (via Oh My Stinkin’ Heck.)

momshirt.jpg

I know, I was all warm and fuzzy about having Miss C home for three weeks and I am thrilled she had a break before kindergarten started (we may hit an afternoon matinee of Ratatouille today). She spent a lot of precious kid time playing at home, hanging out with her grandparents, and swimming and riding her bike and eating ice cream sandwiches and running through the sprinkler, but, but…thank God kindergarten starts Monday!

1. nap warden says:

I can’t even imagine what I would do with that wonderful chunk of time when my kiddos are old enough for kindergarten! Sooo far away, is there light at the end of the SAHM tunnel???;)

2. Sheila / Kiki36 says:

I’m a SAHM and am currently counting down the day until the kids go back to school. Luckily, now that they are getting older, they understand (some) why Mommy is on the computer so much. BTW, I love that shirt!

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

I have been a SAHM for almost 20 years now (one advantage to having our kids 9.5 years apart) and I love it. Homeschooling, on the other hand, would have either killed me or landed me in prison.

4. Liza's Eyeview says:

I hear what you’re saying. I would live to stay at home but if I’d be totally honest I also like my “quiet times” at work (that mean no kids calling “mom” every few minutes).

Maybe I should get that shirt for me 😉

*****

I just quickly browsed through other comments – Oh my gosh – it is your birthday today (Thanks BusyMom)? Happy Happy Birthday!

5. Mrs. Schmitty says:

I’m a SAHM and a little envious of working moms. I love what I do…but I wish I could get out sometimes to work. Sometimes days go by and I forget the last time I was in the real world.

6. Mrs. Flinger says:

I’m working on a shirt that says, “My mom drinks because I’m two.” I think it would be VERY appropriate for LB’s school. You know, the religious preschool? Yea. That one.

Happy Birthday again, Jamie!!

7. angie says:

okay…my youngest is eight. yes it gets easier! but then you just eat more, drink more, and there are totally different stresses and issues…i love each chapter!!!!

8. malia says:

I so “need” that t-shirt!! And after today, I may be rethinking my position of not being ready for school to start! Today was a very trying day, to say the least!

9. Erin says:

I LOVE that shirt and know many moms who would love it as a gift. In theory, I’d like to be a SAHM. But I am a bit cautious… Let us know how the movie is!

10. Cyndee@Riezzee's Place says:

I am with you about the work thing. I love being home for the summer with my kids (I am a high school teacher), but to have time away from them is just a wonderful thought some days.

Blessings

11. Helene says:

Kindergarten next week? Best of luck with the transition. As for a 16 hour in-the-office-work week – by all means enjoy it 🙂

12. Belle says:

LOL…I have always thought I was a better mom after I wasn’t a mom for just a bit. I have been a SAHM for 15+ years and love it but that doesn’t mean I am endless harmony and light (lol…or at least I can admit that here, eh?). I think retail therapy is completely necessary for all Moms…’specially those SAHMs. It has saved my sanity or at least allowed me to appear sane from the outside for years.

13. Kris says:

Ha! That’s a shirt I can wear proudly.

I found the daily outing very helpful this summer also. Summer’s great, but so is back to school. Still got a few weeks left over here.

14. Selfmademom says:

Hilarious! all these posts I’ve been reading about moms wanting kids to go back to school is making me nervous for when my son is older!