Mama, You Gots Some Splainin to Do

I spent Sunday morning with Miss A at our pediatrician’s office. It’s not exactly the way I wanted to spend a weekend morning, especially since Miss C and the hubby were heading to the pool that afternoon, but she had been coughing since Friday night and had a horrible wheezing episode late Saturday and I wondered off and on Saturday night if I should have taken her to the doctor. The pediatrician thought she heard crackling in Miss A’s lungs and was worried about walking pneumonia. She also questioned why we didn’t get a nebulizer to bring home in May when Miss A was sick with the same symptoms and responded well to an in office breathing treatment, but the nurse at that time had said if we had another similar episode we would get a machine to bring home. When we were on vacation in Florida in June she had a similar episode, but she kicked it. Miss A has a recheck on Wednesday and I’m hoping and praying this isn’t leading to a diagnosis of something like asthma. This seems to have started in December, when she had pneumonia. I keep reminding myself it could be something much worse, and I am all the more thankful for the girls’ health.

We are now the proud owners of a nebulizer duck. Miss A was not too happy about her breathing treatment after waiting two hours at the doctor’s office and trust me, I used every trick in the mama book of distractions to entice her to sit still in my lap, including letting her “chew” gum (translation, eat it.) But here at home the treatments have gone well and she and the hubby have been bonding over Sponge Bob while she sits in his lap and Miss C is fascinated with the new medical contraption.

The nurse called the steam magic clouds, but I, in my infinite wisdom have called it “magic smoke” more than once.

Seeing as Miss C has just one more week until kindergarten starts and she repeats everything she hears, I’m bracing myself for the moment she tells her teacher about our “magic smoke” at home and I have to explain that we’re not potheads.

1. Oma Flinger says:

Give her some bunny juice to add to the magic smoke story. Might as well get some blogging material out of it. LOL

2. kailani says:

You’ll definitely get some strange looks from the teacher! LOL! My nephew has a nebulizer and he screams every time he has to use it. Hope things are going well.

3. Mari says:

Okay, Jamie…Magic smoke!!! I think I just woke my husband up from laughing so hard! After years of hearing the most amazing things come out of my students’ mouths about their home lives, AND having my son share his interesting perspective about ours, I can honestly say I am kicking off this year’s Back to School Night by suggesting, “I won’t take everything your child says about YOU at face value if you promise to give me the same courtesy.”

Magic smoke! roflmao

4. Renee says:

Oh, that last part cracked me up.
    We’ve had our own nebulizer ever since Emma was a baby b/c she had lots of breathing issues too. But I’ve never seen the duck; that’s cute.

5. Erin says:

I think my brother had a nebulizer. He called it a pipe (if I’m thinking of the same loud machine to help him breathe…)

6. Lisa says:

How funny! I have a friend who’s four-year-old is continually singing Amy Winehouse’s “Rehab” song. She excited for him to sing it to his preschool teacher 🙂

7. mamatulip says:

Jamie, you are KILLING me over here. Magic smoke? OMG I just about died laughing when I read about that…LOLOLOL…

All laughter aside, I’m really sorry she’s had such troubles since she got sick last year. I really, really hope it doesn’t manifest into asthma. (((fingers crossed)))

Well I have good news and bad news from her pediatrician. The good news is she is much better (she even went back to daycare today for a half day.) The bad news is he says she definitely acts like a kid with asthma but now that we have a home nebulizer we can treat it more effectively from the onset.

Oh and I am now dealing with a 5-year-old big sister who now insists she’s “sick” but I think it’s a case of wanting some of baby sister’s attention.

Cough, cough.