Overheard Between the Kabobs and Chicken Breasts

Yesterday afternoon Miss C and I were at our favorite neighborhood hangout, Publix, where I was disappointed for the second time in a row to discover they were not giving out sushi samples. She, however, was quite tickled with her free chocolate chip cookie from the bakery, where every employee recognizes us from a mile away as die hard groupies, particularly of the sugar cookies with pastel sprinkles.

I maneuvered our big rig shopping car cart to the meat department and pondered something easy and on sale to throw on the grill what fantastic dinner to whip up.

Miss C wandered over from the lobster tank and made a startling (and loud) revelation.

Mommy, you forgot to wear your clothes!

Me (looking down): What?

The butcher looks up from pricing packages of meat.

That’s not clothes mommy…you sleep in that!

I realized I had on the bright blue tank top (and denim Old Navy shorts) thatΒ I usually wear to bed with my pj bottoms.

Well, at least the butcher got a mini thrill.

1. Bluegrass Mama says:

I forget many things these days, but fortunately, I have not yet gone out without my clothes. I still would have panicked at the suggestion, though, wondering if it was actually true this time!

I’ve been really pooped this week (Miss A had swimmer’s ear Sunday and was up ALL NIGHT.) So for a split second I thought maybe I just had on my sports bra with my shorts. I knew I wasn’t technically nayked, as we say at our house. But when I’m tired, my brain shuts off more than usual.

3. Pattie says:

Oh Jamie! You are not alone in this, for I, too, have worn my pj tops out in public. My children have called attention to it and luckily nobody was in earshot to hear their comments *LOL*
    Maybe the butcher will give you some free porkchops next time πŸ˜‰

4. Jen says:

And people judge if we duct tape our children. πŸ™‚ Out of the mouths of babes, right?

We lived in Georgia for two wonderful years – just your mentioning Publix brought back some memories of the south!

5. Dawn K says:

Shoot, I buy clothes based on wearing them straight from the street to the sheets. Saves tons of time when you are exhausted from chasing down a toddler. Yes, I officially have a toddler now. Scary.

6. Little Miss says:

I just LOVE it when the munchkins say embarassing things in PUBLIC–mine would ultimately say something about bodily functions so consider yourself blessed it was only about clothes!
    ; )

btw, I think I surfed over from KelliBelly in case you’re wondering…