Get Off of My Cloud

I’ve started watching HGTV again after getting burned out on it a few years ago and realizing I’d memorized the script for nearly every decorating show, not to mention I was developing the annoying habit of saying things like, “we need an inspiration piece!” and “what wonderful curb appeal!”

I was checking out the HGTV website this weekend, though, in a quest to find dog hair friendly decorating ideas for our family room when lo and behold I read that the 2008 Dream Home was being built in Islamorada, Florida, in the heart of the Keys!

Woo hoo! Be still my heart. If any of you know the hubby and I in real life, you would know that this is definitely our kind of dream home…on the water and in the Keys where we honeymooned. I can just feel the ocean breeze…cue the Buffett and chill the shrimp and Corona, I’ll be right over.

Being the nerd that I am, I clicked on the Dream Home blog and started skimming the comments with amusement.

I discovered that there is an angry undercurrent of HGTV Dream Home passive aggressive groupies…those who lament the fact that all of the HGTV dream homes are really unaffordable to maintain and also bemoaning the fact that HGTV is building a home so close to the ocean, what with the threat of hurricanes and all.

WTH people?!?

First of all, it is the HGTV Dream Home, not the HGTV Sensible Home or the HGTV You Might Actually Be Able to Afford to Build This When You Retire Should You Invest Wisely Home or the HGTV Start Grooming Your Kids to Play Professional Sports at the Age of Two and All This Could Be Yours Home.

I’m sorry, but if you have time to bitch about the likelihood of hurricanes at the construction site of a sweepstakes home, then you obviously have more time on your hands than me and I’ll gladly take the dream home off your hands, should you win and want to be released from the burden of it all.

If we win the dream home (and I know one blogger I’ll probably be competing against), margaritas on the rocks for all of you!

Of course we’ll probably be renting it out for $500 a night so we can afford to pay the capital gains tax. But until then, I can dream.

So, now that you know my dream home has an ocean view…what’s yours?

1. Liz says:

That’s okay, momma — I’m feeling a little burned-out my ownself — you know, that I know, that I’m probably NOT winning it, anyway. Even though, I get so excited and all my talk of good karma.

I even had The Hubs believing it, last year!

I happily send all my “dream house karma” to you, my dear. As long as…um…we can visit…rent free…even!?!?

2. mamatulip says:

My dream home doesn’t have carpeting in the dining room. It comes with a butler and a nanny. It has a master suite with a bidet and a jacuzzi tub, a bathroom for the kids and a guest room with a guest suite. It’s got lots of property and it’s an old farmhouse, but there are no farm animals. It’s got lots of natural light and there’s also someone who comes twice a week and tends to my lavish gardens, because although I admire gardens, I can’t keep them up to save my life.

The above is why it’s my dream home and not my reality home. 🙂

3. Richie Ann says:

You know I don’t really want much from a dreamhome. I just want a fridge with water and ice in the door, a dishwasher, and a nice big open area to entertain. But, most of all, my dream home would be a place where my kids would come visit all the time after their all grown up.

Liz:

You all can come visit, rent free…I’ll even have the hubby make some of his famous margaritas! (he tended bar for years…they are awesome…hmmm, wish I had one now)

Mama Tulip:

I love the idea of a farmhouse but with no animals to take care of. 😉

We’d love a big screened in porch with tons of comfy seating and maybe a fire pit. Hubby would love a porch with its own ventilation system so he can smoke a cigar without stinking up the house. Oh, and a pool. I’d love to have a swimming pool some day. And our dogs need their own dog suite. 😉

Might as well dream big.

Awww Richie Anne…sniff.

5. Kris says:

Ah, my hubby’s dream home definitely has an ocean view. Me…. it makes me a little uncomfortable to be THAT close to the ocean. Maybe on a lake, near some mountains. 🙂

6. Bluegrass Mama says:

Move the highway from behind my current house and I just may be living in my dream home. Well, once it has new carpeting…

7. Renee says:

No, you can’t have the dream home because I want it. I used to enter those contests all the time and was always so disappointed when someone else won the house! Damn.

8. Holly Schwendiman says:

That’s funny because it’s not called the 2008 reality home. Dream. Dugh. I’m going to have to go check it out. I love watching stuff like this – – even bought an old VHS series years ago when one show did a whole season on the making of a dream home.

Hugs,
    Holly

9. Mof2 says:

I have entered that thing every year! Just hoping to win, knowing that I could never afford the taxes and what not on it, but still hoping just to win a 2nd HOME! There is one built just a couple of hours from where I live, here in Panama City. It was up for sale twice now since it has been won. Because although I don’t want to be the one to fuss about it, aparently nobody seems to be able to keep the insurance and taxes paid on it. Though, this all has still not kept my faith down hoping that I will win it!

10. Linda says:

I remember reading (but am too lazy to Google it) that there were several winners of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition that could not afford to pay the property taxes on their new homes. That’s sad.

My dream home? One in the Keys and one in Sonoma County. Preferably with a winery. I’d let the pros handle the winemaking, though I would also need a personal chef to make some great measl to pair with the wines…