Falling Prices, Falling Orange Juice Cans

So, how was your holiday? We had a very laid back July 4th. My mom came over late afternoon and the hubby grilled burgers. Our neighbors around the corner put on a mini pyrotechnics show every year and the girls love it. The dogs? Not so much.

Our July 4th eve, however, was spent at the ER because I thought I might have a hairline fracture in my foot.

I decided to trek over to Wal-Mart Tuesday during my afternoon off. I grabbed some frozen orange juice and after indecisively fretting over which variety to buy (Low-acid? Calcium fortified? Pulp free? Not-from-concentrate? Concentrate?) I dropped a can directly on top of my foot. Seeing as I was wearing flip flops, it hurt like hell. I muttered several choice words under my breath, but was determined to carry out my holiday shopping. There were buns to buy! We were out of mustard! They had a great sale on bottled water! Plus I could not bear the thought of having to do grocery shopping on July 4th. I made it through my list, unloaded the car, and then picked the girls up from daycare.

By dinner my foot was killing me and it was swelling. I could barely move it and I couldn’t put any weight on it. I put a bag of frozen veggies on it and elevated it and that seemed to only make things worse. The hubby and I decided it was best to go to the ER and get it x-rayed since we didn’t want to spend July 4th at the ER with all the drunken crazies who’d maimed themselves with bottle rockets. We took the girls over to my mom’s and headed to the ER.

About two hours later I left with crutches (apparently I’m so short I qualify for “youth” size crutches) and a prescription for pain medication. No broken bone!

Before you write me off as a hypochondriac, I’ve only been to the ER for legitimate emergencies: an appendectomy in high school, some bleeding complications when Miss C was 8 weeks old, and last year’s freak July pneumonia. Wait a minute, I did have a college episode where I was convinced my ear was going to start spurting blood, but it turns out I just had a severe ear infection.

Any way, you know how your mama told you to always wear clean underwear in case you’re in a car wreck? Always make sure you have pretty, shiny polished toes and soft, moisturized feet because the one day your feet are embarrassingly Wal-Mart funky and dry and your toenails are naked because you’re airing them out before giving yourself a pedicure and painting them bright red for the 4th will be the day your foot is x-rayed and examined by numerous people.

Go ahead and share your embarrassing ER stories. It can’t be any worse than mine.

1. Bluegrass Mama says:

Um, I have never actually been a patient in ER, so no embarrassing stories to tell. I’ve been thinking about getting my ankle x-rayed myself, since I hurt it a month or so ago and it’s still bothering me. I’m also thinking hairline fracture, so I’ll hope we’ve both misdiagnosed that one!

Bluegrass Mama:

My mother hurt her ankle over a year ago while gardening. It hurt for six weeks and she finally went to the doctor. She had had a hairline fracture but by then it was too late. Now, of course, it really bothers her because it didn’t heal properly.

Any way, that’s part of the reason I thought, “Better be overly cautious than sorry.”

Of course now I wish I hadn’t gone to the ER but oh well. 😉

3. Mrs.M says:

I don’t really have ER stories, I don’t know that I’ve been except for a broken arm when I was very little. However, last December 18 I starting feeling very strep throat like. I didn’t want to spend the holidays sick so I went to a walk-in clinic after work. I was hoping to get an antiboitic to knock it out before the holidays. Well $90 later they told me to gargle warm salt water that there was no infection and therefore nothing they can do. Damnit! My favorite way to spend $90 at Christmas! However, if I hadn’t gone I’d have ended up with strep/pnemonia in the ER on Christmas Day thus ruining the holiday and costing a kidney which I would have had to donate while I was in there…..I digress.

4. RB says:

Unfortunately I have become too familiar with the hospital for anaphylaxis. The last time that I went, they had sme intern to give me IV epinephrine. The nurse kept telling him he was doing it “too fast, too fast.” He was all cocky and full of himself “I’m GOING slow.”
    He wasn’t and first I thought I was going to have a stroke and then I promptly vomited everything I have ever eaten all over him. It was a nice moment. Yack!

5. Richie Ann says:

I’ve never been the ER either…but am hoping I don’t have to go anytime soon! Sorry to hear about your foot.

6. malia says:

Ok, this will be a long comment. Brace yourselves.

After David “graduated” from college (he walked in the graduation ceremonies b/c he was still a couple of credits shy of getting his degree) we went out to dinner with his entire family. It rained while we were in the restaurant and I (being blessed with the grace of bull in a china shoppe) slipped and fell right outside the restaurant. I was in major pain and seriously thought I had broken my ankle. I was also bruised and banged up with some “road rash” since I fell in a paved parking lot. There I was, twenty years old, bawling like a baby and freaking everyone out. So, they took me to the ER.

I was in serious pain during the car ride to the hospital. And I was completely mortified that this was all happening in the presence of my soon to be in-lawed family. When we got to the hospital, it seemed to take forever to get me checked in and taken back to see a doctor. I was so relieved to finally be out of the curious/worried/doubtful eyes of my future in-laws.

I get checked out, x-rayed, poked, prodded and….nothin’. No break, just a minor sprain. Got some crutches, got the ankle wrapped, got some pain killers. I think what was mostly hurt was my pride!

Now, to add insult to injury, because David and I were not yet married, his parents would not let him go back with me to my apartment and stay there that night to help me out if I needed it. They INSISTED that I stay with them in their hotel room. Worst. Night. Of. My. Life! My father-in-law snores like you’ve never heard anyone snore. I was in pain, I couldn’t sleep and I was in the same room as my future in-laws!

Thanks for the memories Jamie! ;-P

7. mayberry says:

OW. I stubbed my toe really bad last Thanksgiving and it hurt for months (waaah, waaah, waah, I know)! Hope yours is better ASAP. I’m sure there have been MUCH gnarlier toes than yours in the ER.

8. Amy says:

I’m glad you are o.k. Most of my trips have been with the boys. Ear infections and Aaron’s trip 3 days after he fractured his ankle. I didn’t hesitate in May when I thought he fractured his elbow, but it was fine. Of course when I was 3 months pregnant with Aaron I had to go because of dehydration. They kept pumping me with the fluids and asking if I had to go to the bathroom. I kept telling them no. What a night that was! That’s why they finally gave me the zofran!

9. Filtering Life says:

Oh man that sucks bad! My favorite is after you remove red nail polish and your toenails look like they have a bad case of gangrene underneath them. I am with you, better safe than sorry, although they can’t set a foot if you did break it. Take it from me, “The Klutzy Queen” I have broken the entire top of my foot and fractured the side of my foot….it sucked balls, but I had to tough it out.

10. Renee says:

Oh no, Jamie, that stinks! It so much sounds like something I would do. I hope your foot is feeling better soon.

Thanks ya’ll. The funny thing (ha ha ha) is I am really OK. I mean it’s a little sore now but I can’t believe I went to the ER. But at the time I couldn’t walk on it.

D’oh!

oh man, what a day! Glad nothing was broken hon!! youth crutches!! HAHAHAH…there are worse things, at least you didn’t require jabba the hut size crutches, right?!