Miss A’s Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Despite us trying to pull a fast one on her, Miss A has picked up on the fact that big sister is not going to daycare this week, but is instead spending her mornings attending Vacation Bible School, learning rah rah Jesus songs, and getting temporary tattoos of the Southern Baptist approved variety.

To say she is not happy about this temporary arrangement is an understatement. This morning was the worse meltdown episode I’ve ever witnessed, even after surviving the “Terrible Twos” with Miss C. Pile on to the emotional trauma the fact that she is two, very two, and that she is also suffering from one heck of a vacation hangover (there were repeated requests for her Papa, who is still in Florida), and you have a recipe for a morning meltdown of the “mama is so glad she is wearing deodorant and I wonder if it would be inappropriate to drink a Bloody Mary at my desk” variety.

In other words, Miss A wants to go back to the beach and back to sleeping in and doing nothing but play all day and hang out as a family.

And you know what? I can’t blame her.

To add to my guilt, I just can’t take any more time off right now since we just returned from vacation.

Most of the time I can honestly say I enjoy being a working mom and getting out for a few hours and flexing the non-mommy portions of my brain. This morning it just downright sucked.

I know that the “solution” is not to hastily yank her from daycare, although it crossed my mind more than once this morning, or let her stay home for the day. Honestly, my work schedule couldn’t be any more flexible now that I am telecommuting half the week. Plus, Miss C also went through considerable separation anxiety at this same age so I know this is but a passing phase. And her afternoon teacher reassures me she is fine.

But it’s still hard.

1. Jill says:

Oh gosh, girlfriend…I am right there with you on this. It’s just not easy sometimes. I am usually comforted by the fact that they probably totally forget their issue once they get to daycare and get involved with what’s going on there, etc. Can break your heart though, huh?

Well I picked her up early since I’m telecommuting this afternoon and it’s pretty quiet. I treated the girls and myself to Frosties at Wendy’s! 😉

Of course, her regular teacher said she has been fine all day and she gets to daycare at 9 (I dropped Miss A off, kicking and screaming at 8.) I think Miss A doesn’t care for the teacher who is there at drop off.

Any way, the day is getting better. Thanks ya’ll.

3. Richie Ann says:

Some days are harder than others…the worst is when you hear a heartfelt and shrieking Momeeeeee as you walk out the door.

4. Oh, The Joys says:

Boy do I hear you. The Mayor just threw the biggest fit of his life beause he couldn’t take two fly swatters to bed and beat the blinds with them instead of sleeping.

5. Pattie says:

Oh Jamie, that does suck. It is hard for us adults to get back in the saddle again after a vacation.
    I am sure there are better days ahead….until then, a Bloody Mary just might do the trick *LOL*

6. Traci says:

We had one of those mornings too. My two year old was crabby from having a head cold and decided that she would under no circumstances wear socks to daycare. I took off for work and let DH deal with it. LOL…

7. Ginger says:

I can SO relate to your plight. There are days when I just wish I could be there everyday to pick up Amanda from school at 2:45 so I could spend more time with her. It sucks that I can’t get to her until 6pm.

Why can’t I just win the lottery so I don’t have to work? 🙁

8. Dana says:

I couldn’t help but giggle when I read the “temporary tattoos of the Southern Baptist approved variety.”

I don’t know why. It just make me laugh!

9. psalm23 says:

…that’s tough…. it’s tough to leave a little girl crying in day care … ((((HUGS))))

one of those “working mom not-so-good days”, eh?

so is Miss C enjoying the rah rah Jesus songs 🙂 – cute!