We rolled in from the beach this evening and were hit with a nasty smell as soon as we walked in the door. At first I thought we had left some garbage in the kitchen garbage can. Then I saw a trail of melted chocolate ice cream mixed in with an unidentified gooey slick of freezer sludge on the floor in front of the refrigerator and I knew.
The darn thing died.
We’ve only had our refrigerator (Kenmore Elite, my ass) for seven years and it’s been nothing but a problem child appliance.
We had some other unfortunate appliance/electronic/automobile related mishaps happen while on vacation. Our portable DVD player was stolen from my car the night before we left (we had left my car unlocked as we were in that pre-vacation happy daze and our dogs were already at my brother’s house…usually they go crazy if anyone steps foot on to our property.) You can bet your bottom parent consumer dollar that our first stop Thursday morning en route to the beach was to buy a new DVD player for the seven to eight hour car ride to the Florida panhandle. And after spending Sunday morning at the zoo in Gulf Breeze, something hit my windshield while we were driving down the highway and it is now sporting a lovely crack right down the middle.
Any way, back to more pressing (foul smelling) matters. Thankfully I hadn’t done any major grocery shopping since Miss C’s birthday on the 12th since I knew we’d be leaving soon for vacation. The only consoling thought is knowing that the refrigerator was apparently destined to die and that perhaps it thought it would be an easier loss to deal with after we’d spent several days relaxing at the beach. I could have lived, however, without pulling the rancid baby back ribs and ground chuck from the freezer.
RIP refrigerator. We’re replacing you tomorrow…with a Maytag, more than likely from Home Depot.
Oh and speaking of stinky, it appears that we are fresh out of diapers. I guess Miss A will be sporting a Little Mermaid swim diaper to daycare in the morning.
Edited to add: The refrigerator, she is WORKING! The hubby flipped the breaker switch and unplugged it and plugged it back in. We had a record-breaking heat day on Sunday here so maybe it has something to do with that. I’m just happy we have a cold refrigerator.
Another update, unfortunately: The ice in the freezer is melting. It appears to be dead, yet again. We’re headed to Lowes as their delivery time is much faster.