The One Where I Get Really Sappy, Again

I didn’t need waterproof mascara for preschool graduation after all (although I might need it to read this post.) I was too busy laughing, smiling, and trying to get the perfect picture. It was like the parent preschool paparazzi in the aisles! The kids said the pledge of allegiance and then assembled in the back of the church so they could march up to the stage to Pomp and Circumstance in their shiny red caps and gowns. The hubby shot a fantastic video and even put finishing touches on the final movie with a photo montage. I don’t know about you, but we definitely don’t take enough video of our kids. There was cake and punch and balloons in the church basement. There were little girls twirling in dresses and holding hands. There was a toddler shoving strawberries in her mouth as fast as she could eat them. (That would be Amelia.)

I heard this song on the radio this morning on the way to work and somehow it just seems to fit.

My Wish
Rascal Flatts

I hope that the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
And each road leads you where you want to go,
And if you’re faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin’ till you find the window,
If it’s cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile,

But more than anything, more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you’re out there getting where you’re getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

I hope you never look back, but ya never forget,
All the ones who love you, in the place you left,
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
And you help somebody every chance you get,
Oh, you find God’s grace, in every mistake,
And you always give more than you take.

But more than anything, yeah, and more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you’re out there getting where you’re getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

may_2007_151.jpg

1. Liza says:

Alright…reading this post gave me goose bumps all over (and I mean all over!) and teary eyed too. And looking at Caitlyn’s photo…ahhhh… lovely! What a milestone. Congratulations! That song is perfect for the occasion. Thanks for posting it.

2. jag says:

Oh my. Even though I don’t know them know them (except through this blog) I remember getting the emails when the girls were born and seeing her in her cap and gown kind of makes me want to cry. I’m impressed you came through dry eyed. Congrats to Caitlin!

3. Pattie says:

I hear that song all the time…and I get teary every time I listen to it. Very emotional piece indeed :’)

4. Jenny says:

Aww, she’s adorable! I love that song, it’s a perfect celebration of the occassion. Enjoy your graduate!

5. jen says:

I can’t believe your preschoolers got caps and gowns! How cute!!! Ours just got to wear sashes with their names on them. Love your blog!

6. Your best friend says:

That is the perfect song! If they had played it I bet you would have cried! I am teary right now.

Thanks ya’ll.

One of my favorite lines is:

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to

Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small…

Waaaaaah! 😉

And yes the red caps and gowns was a great finishing touch. I didn’t realize they were going to wear them until that night!

8. Liz says:

Well, there goes my mascara for the day – at least I know not to use it next month during both kindergarten and 5th grade graduations – congratulations to the both of you!

9. Bluegrass Mama says:

Sad to say, neither of my children ever graduated from preschool. Our son was “held back” (I kid you not) and ended up going straight from the 3’s (when he was a “young” 4) into kindergarten. Our daughter was running a 102 temp and throwing up the day of her graduation. I figured it was God’s revenge for my complaints that caps & gowns were ridiculous for preschoolers. But Caitlin sure looks cute in hers! (So did my daughter–they had a photographer come in before graduation, and I still have the picture on my desk).

10. Dawn K says:

She looks so grown up. What a great day. I am with you, songs get right to the heart of things. Congratulations.

As for the parent papparazzi, imagine begin married to a photographer. Our wedding should have been in Malibu with the number of roving photographers present. I kept waiting for one to jump out of the bushes.