Failure to Launch

Operation Big Girl Bed has pretty much gone down without a hitch. Amelia has been sleeping in a twin bed going on three weeks and actually stays in her bed all night. However, and there always is a however, she has become quite skilled at prolonging bedtime. She’ll plead with me to “lay down mama, lay down!” and I usually find her serious little face and patting the pillow too hard to resist. We’ll read just one more book which then turns into three because she’ll then plead, “here go mama, here go!” and hand me another one.

We just won’t talk about her new take on naps, or lack thereof. Of course she naps like a pro at daycare. I needs me some daycare lady mojo!

Operation Big Girl Potty, however, has yet to launch. In fact, Amelia has pretty much ignored the potty since I brought it out on an overzealous whim during the holidays. Amelia hasn’t yet moved to the potty training booty camp classroom at daycare, which is where Caitlin really got the urge to potty train, so I’m hopeful that will be the motivation she needs.

I decided to check out the latest in potty technology because it dawned on me that our no frills potty might not do a thing for Amelia. Maybe she needs a 2007 pimped out potty, something with more bells and whistles. Something that makes the potty an event, not a destination.

It’s been nearly three years since we purchased a potty for Caitlin, so it was no surprise to me that there were several new swanky models on the market. We parents are prime targets for the latest gadgets.

Being the parenting cynic that I am, not to mention the fact that it’s very hard for me to stifle my inner crotchety old lady, I had an immediate “you’ve got to be kidding” reaction to just about every potty.

The Baby Bjorn Potty Chair

This just screams, “despite being parents, we are hip, we are cool, and we refuse to have anything but an uber chic sleek ultra modern potty!” We are neither chic or hip or modern so I moved on to the next one.

babybjorn.jpg

Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Potty
Any potty described as “whimsical” in design means you are desperate enough to be lured by unnecessary bells and whistles to get your kid out of diapers. Naturally, I kind of like this one. And hey, who doesn’t want to laugh and learn while using the potty? Multitasking at its finest! I have been known to hold a baby on my lap while peeing first thing in the morning.
fisherpricepotty.jpg

Levels of Discovery Her Majesty’s Throne
If you buy this potty and wonder why your daughter is a mini Paris Hilton at age 7, remember, it was you who pushed the royalty thing when your little princess was still wearing diapers. Oh sure, we have lots of princess bling around the house, but I draw the line at a royal toilet.
throne.jpg

Peter Potty Flushable Toddler Urinal
And this?

urinal.jpg

Just makes me glad I have girls.

1. Mrs.M says:

wow! all i can say is wow!! by the time I have kids maybe there will be a new medicince or vaccination that just automatically potty trains at age 2 1/2.

That is so wishful thinking.

2. Dawn K says:

I’ll be looking into the Peter Potty Toddler Urinal in a year or two. I had no idea there were so many choices.

Good luck, I am sure I will be looking for it shortly.

3. Richie Ann says:

I have no idea how to potty train. The whole thing really baffles me. Even though I have boys, I’m hoping I can learn a thing or two from you so keep us posted.

4. Amy says:

I bought Cameron “big boy underwear” yesterday at Wally World. He picked them out, Spider Man and Nemo. He had to have them on when we got home, so we stood and stood….(add MANY more) and no luck. Put on the underwear and headed outside (less messy) and of course, he peed. He was not happy, but we waited a bit before changing. He was dry this morning and we stood for 45 minutes. NOTHING!!! Put on training pants, guess what??? 🙂 Here we go! I am going over to Mama’s to pick up the plastic cover ups for the underwear later. I can’t find the ones I had here. I figure if he gets tired of being wet, he’ll go where he’s supposed to. I thought he might want to be like his big brothers, but no luck yet…

I wish I could say that ya’ll will “learn” from my potty training experience with Amelia but really? I am just waiting for the daycare regimen to begin as that’s when it all clicked for Caitlin. Peer pressure…it works every time!

I’m a potty training slacker!! 😉

6. malia says:

Oh. My. WORD!! A tot-sized urinal?? Too funny. I IM’d the link to my hubby, he thinks it’s a hoot.

7. Linda says:

We have the opposite nap problem… No naps at daycare and two good ones (sometimes even a pre-dinner snooze) when he’s home with us. I think he’s just afraid he’ll miss out on something at daycare. Either that, or we’re so boring, he’d rather sleep!

8. Emily says:

That urinal is PRICELESS.

Jackson’s figuring out the standup thing. That’s how he prefers to go. But now we’re getting MAJOR resistance to going at all, even though he knows how to do it. I am so frustrated!

And I won’t even talk about actually going #2 in the potty, which has yet to happen.

9. Renee says:

I’ve never seen the urinal before! WTF?
    I still can’t get used to the fact that I’m potty training a child with a penis.

10. Holly Schwendiman says:

Okay the little boy’s urinal is hilarious! My daughter was so easy with transitions and potty training…my son was just the opposite. There is light at the end of the tunnel, problem is I always wanted the end of the tunnel and could have cared less about the light when I was in the trenches.

Hugs,
    Holly

11. Mrs. Flinger says:

Your inner crochet lady and my inner velcro-black-shoe man should get along nicely. Because I gasped. I’ve seen some of those potties out and about but all in one place? Oh. My. Lord.

It’s like the Chip isle at the grocery store. Lordy.

12. Mof2 says:

Pumpkin is almost 2 and we bought a potty and I so do not look forward to what is coming up. It took forever for K-bean to get trained. It was just a mess!! Good Luck!

13. Potty Patty says:

Thanks for the reviews! Anything to make potty training a fun experience rather than a stressful one is always helpful.

You’re little girl is probably potty trained by now, but for anyone else reading the blog, Potty Patty is a great way to potty train girls.