Decorating by Osmosis

I’ve already admitted I stalk houses online, so I might as well tell you about my home decorating, home organizing addiction. And no, unfortunately, this does not mean that our house is straight from the parade of homes.

I’m starting a new work schedule in two weeks that will enable me to work from home a lot more (as in half my 32-hour work week…can I get a yee haw!?!) and the thought of being home that much has spun me into a spruce up the house, spring cleaning frenzy. When we bought our house we painted, ripped up carpets, cleaned, and scrubbed and I spent most of my free time ridding it of that late 80s, sponge painting gone bad, blue and mauve melange. And then we started a family and I just kind of lost the urge, not to mention we ran out of truly having free time on the weekends and we started paying double daycare last spring. Now that will crimp your house pimpin’ budget.

Our home decor is pretty traditional, but I’m wanting to add some more “funk” for lack of a better word. I found some fun things on the Internet Saturday night while the hubby worked downstairs (this is how we partied late on Cinco de Mayo…no tequila shots for us!):

• Mrs. Flinger’s best girlfriends threw her a baby shower and they painted these cute custom canvases for the baby’s room and for big sister LB’s room.
  • If Caitlin could see how Oh My Stinkin’ Heck has decorated her daughters’ cute bedroom she would have an absolute fit. Caitlin has already informed me she wants rainbow painted walls. I love how Oh My Stinkin’ Heck took a Pottery Barn Teens idea and made it her own. Oh sure, it looks easy but you don’t know how much I fear stencils.
  • I am also loving this modular carpet tile. A rug made from modular carpet would be cool if we ever decided to install hardwoods in our den.
  • I like these fabric wrapped canvases on eBay. They’re pretty groovy, if I do say so myself.
  • And lastly, I know almost everyone in the world reads Dooce, but I’ll admit that this photo of the new Dooce headquarters makes me want to run to the flea market, buy some funky retro glassware, and fix myself a pitcher of fresh squeezed lemonade. Every day. The jungle theme free plastic cups I bring home for the girls from our local pizza place don’t exactly scream “urban chic.”

Now, I wonder if I start sleeping with Southern Living under my pillow if I’ll wake up to a clean, organized, beautifully decorated home?

1. malia says:

My decorating dilemma is that I’m seriously decision challenged. I practically start hyperventilating while standing in Kirklands or Pier One or any other home decor type store because the choices just overwhelm me. Then I go into someone else’s home who has such nice, well put together, even simple decorating and I feel so inadequate and inferior. So I head back to the store determined to be chic and stylish and then I get all anxious because I don’t want to make a mistake and…

I seriously have a problem.

I wonder if Martha Stewart does personal decorating counseling?

2. Renee says:

You’re speaking my language now, jamie! I love decorating, but am not real good at it and have to ‘copy’ ideas a lot. Plus, I’m cheap. Sigh.

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

I went all out a few years ago and re-did our daughter’s room in an ocean theme. Two years later she opted to move across the hall. I’m sure our overnight visitors appreciate the fishnet hanging from the ceiling in what’s now the guestroom.

4. Holly Schwendiman says:

I’d love to know if the magazine trick under the pillow works. My problem is deciding what I want to do – I have such a hard time making up my mind that years can pass before I actually DO something.

Hugs,
    Holly

5. Jen says:

Girl, I am so with you. I am on realtor.com all the time. We’re moving to the south, too, so I feel a serious urge to stretch my decorating muscle and get back in the game….to much of the western girl still lives in me. That, and my deep and abiding love of shabby chic.

6. Mrs.M says:

oh i LOVE decorating!!! fresh paint and window treatments do wonders for any room. Maybe you could buy canvas’ and let the girls create their own art to hang in their room.

OR, get cork board, cover it in fabric, and get one of those chunky frames at hobby lobby (40% off with coupon but they seem to always be on sale) to mount it in. Then, the girls can use it as a memo board to switch out artwork, photos, etc. You could hang a “chore chart” or calendar or special notes or birthday cards on it. If you wanted to get really fancy you could try take ribbon and weave on it “french memo” style.

Find a small old breakfast set at a garage sale and paint it crisp white (spray paint works) and it makes a cute desk/activity table. You can paint the top of it with chalkboard paint to and let the girls have at it!

Ooooh, and a very cute no sew window treatment: a plain vinyl roller blind. stretch it out. cut fabric to fit. glue. THE END!

ok, i’m way too excited about this. can i come place decorating?? i’ll monogram everything in your house! 🙂

7. Mrs.M says:

ok, one more thing and i’ll back off. however you redo the room, take a piece of fabric or coordinating fabric and wrap it around a canvas or cork board yourself. staple or glue, and hang! rather simple, and a perfect match!

Thanks Mrs. M! 🙂

I have Waverly’s pink and green dress up fabric in Caitlin’s room. It’s really cute. I have been wanting to do a memo board with the fabric…I should just DO IT!

9. Mrs. Flinger says:

You see, the secret is to get crafty people to come over and have THEM paint. I did the “L” and am less than impressed with myself. The other gals, though, rocked the house. I’m glad you admire their work. 🙂