Buying Stock in Waterproof Mascara

I found out earlier this week that Caitlin is graduating. As in she will have a formal pre-K graduation at a local church in a few weeks. Get the video camera ready Daddy cuz our baby’s graduatin’!

It’s so hard for me to believe that our girl, who looked like this when she started daycare over four years ago…

dsc00031.JPG

Now looks like this…

newdo.jpg

Such a big girl with big girl moments like wanting to paint her fingernails at the kitchen table and telling me she wants pink hair with red polka dots. But then she’ll surprise me with little reminders that she is still very close to being a baby. Last night at bedtime she wanted me to pat her back, like they do at naptime at “school,” and sing to her.

Every day I am amazed at how kind, fun, sweet, imaginative, and compassionate she is. I see it in the way she treats her baby sister, her friends, our parents, and even our dogs. I hope and pray I always encourage her to follow her dreams, to keep believing big thoughts, and to keep mama on her toes with her inquisitive thoughts like, “Did God make himself?” and “Do bats have teeth?”

I don’t recall having a preschool graduation, but I did have an 8th grade graduation ceremony. We practiced for weeks singing “What A Wonderful World” for our big night. We thought it was incredibly lame, but now that I’m a parent I realize our sweaty, overzealous band leader just wanted to create a special moment for us and for our parents.

Now as long as they don’t play “We’ve Only Just Begun” at Caitlin’s graduation ceremony, I think I can hold it together.

1. Traci says:

I cried like a baby when we did the pre-school graduation thing last year at this time. Wait until they all march in with caps and gowns. Thank heavens they didn’t play “Pomp and Circumstance” I would not have been able to hold it together.

OK Traci…not helping. 😉

The one thing I think will help is that Amelia (my 2-year-old) won’t sit still and she’ll be very distracting.

Because seriously…I cried just picking out the pictures for this post.

Good Lord.

3. Your best friend says:

Wait till they play “Let Them Be Little”. I’m teary eyed now thinking of that. They played that at Evan’s kindergarten one last year. I had pre-k before that!

4. Bluegrass Mama says:

I never had a graduation till I finished high school. I was quite annoyed that our daughter’s preschool had them wear little caps and gowns. But God has a sense of humor; she woke up on graduation day throwing up with a 103 fever.

5. Pattie says:

Something tells me you’ll be needing that waterproof mascara! I didn’t think I would cry at my son’s preschool graduation…I mean gee it is only preschool. But then I realized it is about marking a milestone…the end of one place and the beginning of another…and it is emotional. And I cried. My daughter will be graduating from her preschool program in two weeks. I am sure I’ll be shedding a few tears then, too. We can comissurate together, Jamie!
    🙂
    And those two pictures tell the story. Time just marches on. Wow.

Thanks Pattie. I thought I would be “ok” until I thought about how much time she’s spent there and that it marks the milestone of “real” school. But we’ll still go by to say hello to her teachers when we pick up Amelia.

Oh, and I can tell I wrote this post in the throes of PMS! 😉

7. Jen says:

We’ve Only Just Begun would put me over the EDGE. I have such a pathetic soft spot for that anorexic crooner. Or, Isn’t She Lovely…that one kills me, too, especially for us moms of girls.