Fast Times at Preschool…Sigh

Last week when I picked up Caitlin at daycare I was greeted not with the usual joyful, open armed “Mommeeeeeeee!!!,” but with a swift command… “Mommy I want to get my ears pierced!”

Has someone been brainwashing my child at nap time with visions of sleepovers and pierced ears? These are apparently the rites of passage for Caitlin’s friends as they turn 5.

Neither the hubby or I really approve of her having her ears pierced until she’s older. I think I was 12 or 13 when my mother finally let me get my ears pierced. Obviously it was such a pivotal moment of my youth that I can’t even recall when I went to the mall with my older sister and did the deed right then and there in the corner of Claire’s amongst a thousand baubles and trinkets.

I’m hoping that this whim quickly passes much as the Bon Jovi, sleepover requests have. Because the one personality quirk of her mama’s that I hope she’s inherited in this instance is my flightiness.

All kidding aside, I found some really cute magnetic earrings, designed for little girls 5 and up, at a local toy and gift shop and I’m thinking of getting her a pair to put with her birthday loot in June. Anyone tried them? Bueller? Bueller?

1. Amy says:

A couple of the little girls at church wear those. They are cute and you don’t have to worry about the turning, doctoring, turning… I remember mine. Yay, I have boys! Hey, when you do get ready bring them to the jewelry store!

2. R*belle says:

I have seen those and think they work ok. I think I was in middle school when I got mine pierced. They are such a pain to take care of at first. Gahd.

3. Emily says:

I had magnetic earrings when I was in high school. I think the came off pretty easily but don’t entirely remember. All I remember is a guy I knew got one and put it in his nose – and that ended magnetic earrings for me…

4. Holly Schwendiman says:

We did the stickers for that year to make sure she really was committed to the idea – it worked great and I did let her get them piereced for her 6th birthday as a result. The sleepover thing never went away – it just cycles and now that she’s in 3rd grade it’s HUGE again. *sigh* Oh the joys.

Hugs,
    Holly

5. Richie Ann says:

I like the idea of waiting until a girl is older for the big ear piercing. Magnetic earrings sound good but be careful about them falling off and being found by your younger girl especially if she still eats random stuff.

6. malia says:

Well…I was, you’re not going to believe this, FIVE years old when I first got my ears pierced!! Yep. I have no idea what my mother was thinking when she said yes! That was ::gulp:: 28 years ago! We had to go to the hospital to get it done! I never had trouble with them that I remember. But I’m also not touting that fact to my six-year, soon to be seven-year old either! In fact, when’s she’s asked about it I’ve said, “Oh sweetie, you don’t want to do that now, it REALLY hurts!” (I quit vying for “mother of the year” a long time ago!)

Malia:

We actually found a home video uploaded on YouTube of a baby (probably 11 months old or so) getting her ears pierced at the mall with her mom and dad. I don’t know why in the world they uploaded it because the baby is crying HER HEAD OFF and frankly, it freaked Caitlin out a bit. So yeah now she thinks it hurts, but she still is fascinated with DA EAR BLING!

And I may get a pair of the cute magnetic earrings for her birthday in June for special occasions (I can see her losing them at daycare on the playground in about 2 minutes flat) but I am going to watch Amelia around them to make sure she doesn’t try to digest them. She’s still into trying to eat foreign objects.

8. Java Junkie says:

I was 5 or 6, I don’t remember. What I DO remember, though, is the horrid infection and the unbearable pain of my aunt, a practicing cosmetologist, digging out the infected, scabbed over lobes with a sewing needle she had held over the stove to “sterilize.”

I love the idea of magnetic earrings. You should get her a set number of pair and tell her that if she really wants her ears pierced than she’ll have to wear those every day and not lose them. Not to worry, though, I don’t think they’ll cause harm if the lil one swallows them if they’re stainless steel they’ll just pass right through her. Girls want their ears pierced because they want sparkly things, not because they want holes in their head. This will give her what she wants without the worry of infection.

9. Erin says:

that’s a cute idea, to use magnetic earrings. I got mine pierced before I started school but my stepdaughters waited I think, and the youngest has the hardest time caring for them. I just remember my mom rationalizing with me (and later with my little sister) that if you do it young, the kid won’t mess with the earrings as much and you can care for them better (we did it at age 3…) I don’t know what I would do if it was my own child- probably at least try magnets….

I was 11 I think…and yeah, our girls will have to wait a while…who wants to deal with infected ears? I like the magnet idea! COOL