I’m No Martha, And That’s Why You Should Try This Recipe

I admitted yesterday that I’m domestically challenged, so I thought I’d redeem myself by participating in this week’s Crazy Hip Blog Mama’s first ever recipe roundup. There must be a full moon this week as I am sewing and posting recipes on the Internet.

Check out their site for details on how you can participate in this week’s roundup, featuring soup recipes. You don’t have to be a member of the Crazy Hip Blog Mamas to participate, but of course, I am, because I’m a little crazy. Hip? Not so sure. I think I retired my hip designation when I started wearing Keds loafers, otherwise known as my comfortable lesbian shoes, and admitted to the Internet that I wear black Gold Toe socks, the same as my male gynecologist. I also secretly love the soundtrack to Barbie’s Princess and the Pauper. So yes, my hipster mama status is going down the drain.

Thankfully I married a man who knows his way around the kitchen and who laughs at the very idea of following a recipe, otherwise my girls would never realize the joy of cooking. I, on the other hand, usually stumble along in the kitchen with a recipe and would choose “Burnin’ Down the House” as my kitchen anthem.

Here’s my contribution to the recipe roundup. It’s from one of my husband’s clients and it is delicious.

Santa Fe Soup
2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion chopped (brown together and drain)
Add:
2 cups water
2 packages taco seasoning (you can purchase the low-sodium type if watching your sodium intake)
2 packages ranch dressing mix (I usually only add one package each to “tone” it down)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
2 cans whole kernel corn

This is especially great in cool weather with chips and salsa and is a nice alternative to chili.

Next installment in my inept domestic housewife series…”How to incorporate dog hair into your decor!”

1. Shoshana says:

that sounds like a wonderful soup!

I love this idea because now, I can surf for soup recipe that’s been tried by real people…not just chef.

2. Erin says:

that actually sounds good (and easy!)

you must have some other hip qualities to outweigh the lesbian shoes and gold socks!!

3. Peta says:

I love that Princess and the Pauper soundtrack. I particularly like to sing the “Doglike Cat” song much to my daughters annoyance!

4. Amber says:

Tasty, tasty. Are you sure you’re not Martha, though? I mean, in addition to the 10 requisite cans, there IS chopping involved. I think that alone could send me over the edge.

Hey, I found your site after doing a search for newspapers that run mom blogs (you listed Houston and Grand Junction). Do you know of any others?

5. Liz says:

OMG…please stop with the shoes and socks, already – I’m tired of cleaning off my laptop’s screen – thanks for the soup, Martha!

6. deb says:

I’ve made that soup before. Believe it or not, it’s a well-known Weight Watchers recipe that they call “Taco Soup”.

Gold Toes are the new fishnets dontcha know ;~)

Wow, I like all the beans in it. Healthy goodness. I’d have to switch out the ground beef with ground turkey, tho. The mister can’t stomach ground beef. It’s a sad thing.

Anne:

Ground turkey is a good choice. I usually do ground chuck, come to think of it. Ground beef is often just too grease laden. Blech. Moo.

9. Mrs. Flinger says:

Ok, wait, if I post a recipe does that mean I have to MAKE a recipe? Because THAT would never happen. 😉