Full Moon Causes Uncharacteristic Urges of the Domestic Variety

I was on a mission to tackle Mount Laundry Saturday and learned that when you wash a khaki sofa slipcover, you might want to make sure you’re not also washing a purple crayon, especially before you toss them both into the hot dryer for a good 45 minutes…you know, just enough time for the purple crayon to really settle into the fabric. I also accidentally washed a harmonica that had wedged its way down into the creases and folds of the slipcover but found it pretty quickly after starting the dryer. The crayon’s nothing a few strategically placed throw pillows can’t hide and the harmonica survived unscathed. Sometimes I’m really fearful of what living things I might discover in the creases of the slipcover.

On to other domestic pursuits, I thought the Earth might fling itself off its rotational axis last night as I mended a sweater, two polo work shirts, and sewed a button back on to a pair of the hubby’s work khakis!

My mom always had a basket of sewing to tend to when I was growing up and she crochets beautiful afghans and my maternal grandmother had a designated sewing room and made beautiful quilts, some of which I am lucky to have in my possession. According to a wonderful bio written by my great aunt (my maternal grandmother’s sister), their grandmother, Nanny, tatted and sewed.

Apparently the sewing (and cooking) genes all passed me by and headed straight for Martha Stewart’s house. But it’s nice to know I can actually sew on a button. We just won’t talk about the elf-size apron I made in 10th grade Home Ec because I couldn’t figure out the pattern.

p.s. It’s a good thing this isn’t an audio post because I sound like I’ve been chain smoking Marlboro reds all weekend. Darn this lingering March crud!

1. Nancy says:

I found pieces of a black crayon in the washing machine this weekend after I’d washed a load of clothes. I thought I’d got it all, but unfortunately I found more after I’d run the dryer, so that load of kids’ stuff has little black specks all over everything. Thrill.

That quilt is beautiful. I have one that my paternal grandmother apparently made for me but never finished — my dad’s cousin had it pieced for me after my grandmother died. It’s one of my most prized possessions.

2. mamatulip says:

I learned the “check your laundry for crayons before you put it in the dryer” the hard way, so you have my sympathies.

That quilt is beautiful, and I love the note your grandmother sewed in it!

3. Charla says:

That’s why I ban crayons…don’t they get enough of that stuff at school? (you know I’m just kidding)

Seriously, we don’t use crayons of the “normal” variety very often, we use colored pencils (the chunky crayola ones for preschoolers) because I learned quickly that little boys like to break them more than color with them.
    I can remember my grandmother was always sewing something, too. Well, except in the dead summer when she was shelling peas, but that’s another story for another day.

4. RichieAnn says:

I’m one of those who has clothes missing a button then hangs them in the closet to be repaired someday. They end up hanging there for a few years until I deem them no longer in fashion and throw them out. Martha Stewart must have gotten my genes too.

5. CrankMama says:

Hi BlondeMom,
    I’ve heard your name for eaons but just now got organized to come check you out. I see we’re both equally domestically (un)gifted.

The TATTING!!

-Rachael

6. Dawn K says:

I also tried to tackle the laundry mountain that has been growing for weeks but discovered that most of it would fit into three very attractive fabric laundry hampers I acquired for a mere $50 total at Walmart. Problem solved! If I don’t see it it must not exist, right?

By the way, I got a D in Home Ec class in sewing but have managed to learn to sew quilts. It is quite therapeutic once you get the needle threaded and the knots out of your thread.

My MIL sews and tats and crochets and quilts while my own Mom can mend socks and buttons. I always wished my Mom knew how to make clothing, growing up, which is funny since most of the girls I knew hated it that their Moms sewed their clothes. Me? I think it’s just cool and if I had the time and talent, I would totally sign up for classes. Creative domesticity? What’s not to love? You make a house a home.

The purple crayon thing…I know it will happen at my house soon. In the meantime I cannot tell you how many tubes of chapstick go through the washer and dryer. Definitely uncool.