Fat Tuesday

Overheard last week at my office’s monthly birthday celebration…

A trio of female co-workers (two are blondes…I’m just sayin’) are gathered around the break room table and commenting on the birthday cake’s festive Mardi Gras theme.

“Oh, look how fun! Does the cake have a baby Jesus in it?

“No…it’s not a King Cake. And it’s not a baby Jesus in a King Cake, it’s just a plastic baby…a non-denomination baby.”

And I’ve since learned the baby trinket does represent Jesus and is not some random dime store pagan plastic baby trinket.

Speaking of all things New Orleans, the hubby and I are thinking of heading to the Big Easy for our 10th anniversary this spring. He’s never been and I’ve been twice, once for business and once for Jazz Fest. I know he would love it and I’d love to go back. Does anyone have any recommendations for a romantic inn or bed and breakfast? Maybe we could stay with Brangelina? The beignets at Cafe du Monde are calling, or maybe that’s just my stomach growling.

New Orleans native (and one of my favorite musical artists) Harry Connick Jr. has just released two CDS, Oh My Nola and Chanson du Vieux. A portion of the proceeds are being donated to the New Orleans Habitat Musicians’ Village, a project launched by Connick and musician Branford Marsalis to build homes for displaced musicians after the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina.

p.s. Fat Tuesday also has new relevance as I have a brand spankin’ new box of Girl Scout Thin Mints on my desk and I can’t seem to stop eating them.

1. Pattie says:

They had a birthday cake with a baby Jesus on it? That sounds a little, umm….strange to me. I have witnessed many things on top of cake before, and the Lord wasn’t one of them 🙂

I wish I could help with the NO thing, but I have never been there myself. Although a stay at Brangelina’s sounds enticing!

Oh no no. I probably wasn’t clear (me unclear?) 😉

It was just a storebought birthday cake but they thought it was like a King Cake because of the Mardi Gras theme.

Does that make sense at all? Sigh…

3. Charla says:

Oh, girl, I have a real king cake sitting in my kitchen that I bought Sunday…yum yum. And, just this weekend I saw Cafe du Monde beignet mix and coffee. I was tempted, but I’m not the baking kind so I passed.

And how funny that you bring up 10th anniversary trips today…we were JUST talking about that at work before I left about 30 minutes ago! A co-worker’s 10th is in July, and they just booked a cruise this weekend. I was telling that I have always told Tim that I want to go to England for our 10th. Well, it’s next year, and the jury’s still out…
    I hope your trip will work out; what a blast you two would have!

4. Mrs. Flinger says:

Oh! Oh! I can totally be Fat Tuesday. All by myself this year. (Just got weighed at OB. Oh. Mah. Gah.)

And Harry Connick? So going to check out his tunes now.

5. Dawn K says:

I am (was pre-children/pre-marriage) a Mardi Gras veteran – I have a painting of Cafe DuMond in my bedroom. I have stayed in the French Quarter a couple of times – once at the Monteleon (very nice) and once at the St. Louis Hotel (also nice, not quite as chic chic) but this was all pre-Katrina. My good friend used to work for the CVB there and knows all the good places. I will email her and send you some info.

As for Beignets – my parents went to NOLA a couple of years ago and thought if one box of Beignet mix was good 10 must be great. If you get one for your anniversary just check the date. 🙂

Enjoy!

6. Chaos Control says:

Yum! King Cake!
    Yum! Cafe du Monde!
    Yum! New Orleans – my favorite city. So very rich in tradition and pride. Although I’ve never stayed there before, you might want to check out http://www.lafitteguesthouse.com/ – a B&B on Bourbon Street … of course, being on Bourbon Street, it might be a bit noisy. The up side would be you’d be stumbling distance to your hotel!!

7. Bluegrass Mama says:

Hubby gave me “Oh My Nola” on CD for Valentine’s Day. Somehow a day or two later we were downtown buying tickets to see the man himself in concert next month! Since we go to concerts about once a decade this is a Big Deal.

8. Mrs. M says:

take me to cafe du monde! take me to cafe du monde!!

actually i just told my hubby that we should do jazz fest for our first anniversary since it falls on that weekend. and because harry connick jr is one of my pretend celebrity boyfriends and i love him!

9. Renee says:

Hey Jamie –
    I wish I could help you out with a bed and breakfast. I spend a lot of time in New Orleans but have only stayed at hotels there. It would be a romantic trip though, I can promise you that.