Ambition

Caitlin and I went to the grocery the other night to pick up a few things. She made sure she had her Little Mermaid backpack strapped securely to her back, just like Dora.

On the way, her sweet little girl voice from the back seat illuminates the dark.

“Mommy I just want to grow up and have two babies.”

OK…

I ask if she is having the two babies at the same time.

“No, I’m gonna have a girl baby! Her name is going to be Nana.” (I guess she had second thoughts about twins. Can’t say that I blame her.)

“I’m going to go to the doctor’s office and close my eyes and then I’m gonna have a baby in my belly cuz that’s where you go get babies.”

We talked a little more and I told her that she would be a great mommy some day. I also asked her if she still wanted to be a teacher when she grew up.

“I want to be a teacher, a mommy, and a doctor!”

1. Bluegrass Mama says:

Maybe she’ll be teaching in a med school! I still remember when our son planned to be a farmer by day and a rock star by night.

2. Liza says:

Great ambitions! Go for it Caitlyn!

I find the mommy ambition flattering, don’t you? I think it’s a reflection of how good a mom you are 🙂

3. kelli says:

Very ambitious! I guess you won’t have to worry about not getting enough money when you retire. She’ll have you covered! :0) What a cutie!

4. Charla says:

I am so old skool…you should have called this post Blonde Ambition! No? Well, ok.

I love 4 year old conversations! You can discuss the most meaningful things in a way that we don’t slow down enough to think about. How funny that she’s already dreaming up her life as a mommy…that is too sweet. I was going to say I can’t wait until I have mommy-daughter conversations, but right now I have to answer MANY “life” questions from my son. Oy…the things that he can think up to ask!

5. domestic_slackstress says:

I know I’m not supposed to wish for such outcomes, but I hope I passed some writer genes down to at least one of my three kiddos. They pretend they are journalists, sports journalists. How badly I’d like to see them really dig their heels into writing … How selfish of me.

6. Mrs. M says:

Some great girls you’re raising over there! I wish I had that ambition! However I can’t see past being the company doormat that i am now!