Noisy Battery Operated Dollar Tree Toys (aka Instruments of Satan)

We’re doing this sticker chart reward system for bedtime. And it’s working. Perhaps a little too well.

Caitlin has now procured a plastic “magic” mirror that emits cheesy canned tinkly fairy tale music when you press a red plastic gem on the handle. And now she has a light-up pink magic wand, which, ironically, emits the same cheesy canned tinkly fairy tale music when shaken.

At bedtime the other night the hubby set the prized magic wand on top of Caitlin’s dresser where it continued to emit cheesy canned tinkly fairy tale music even though know one was touching it. Spoooooooky. So he did what any normal parent at 9 p.m. on a work night who doesn’t want to chance a possessed toy waking up his 4-year-old would do. He put it on the table on our back patio in the 20-degree weather.

The dogs were thrilled. I hear the neighborhood squirrels were thinking of confiscating it for a treetop cabaret.

I was cleaning up the kitchen about an hour later and I heard the cheesy canned tinkly fairy tale music coming from outside and I saw the pink magic wand light up in the cold darkness. Spoooooooky.

I’m thinking her next prize will be the Care Bears jigsaw puzzle she has her eyes on or perhaps some stickers. Pretty much anything that doesn’t make noise is fair game.

1. Bluegrass Mama says:

It would be a real shame if a local raccoon made off with it during the night, wouldn’t it? (wink, wink). The good news about dollar store toys is that they rarely last long (raccoons or not).

2. Jennifer says:

LOL! Morgan got this red alien from McChokes that plays music.

We strategically left it at his sisters in Edmonton.

She found it on our next trip into town.

It played and played and played…..for 45 minutes until she finally fell asleep. I grabbed it and tossed it out the window. Glen cheered.

She did ask where it went the other day, and I told her it was probably in her room somewhere.

3. Amy says:

My grandmother gave Evan an Elmo dressed like Elvis. It was over in a corner with no one near it and one night it began to sing. Brian went to get it and came thru the house holding it by one of its big googly eyes. The batteries came out and to the attic it went.

4. Pattie says:

It could *ahem* meet an unfortunate early demise…
    Not that I am suggesting anything sinister…
    Mooohaaahaaahaaa….
    *LOL*

5. Charla says:

Oh…you must have the ghostie that LOVED Claire’s LeapFrog table. I wondered why we haven’t had any outbursts recently. 🙂

6. Karly says:

OH.MY.GOD. My daughter has those same two things! Does the magic mirror have a little princess in the middle?? Ours goes off every time you walk past the damn thing. Its awful!! And the batteries NEVER die. Throw it out now before she gets attached!

7. kelli says:

That would freak me out! I do like what you think the squirrels had planned for it! “treetop cabaret” Maybe we should try the sticker reward bedtime activity, because we need something up in this mo-fo. Ever since bunkbeds, Gianna WILL not stay in her bed unless I yell and scare the crap out of her which I dont want to do! BTW, I tagged you. You don’t have to do it but I thought it was easy and fun :0)

8. Jenny says:

There’s something in Hailey’s toychest that laughs eerily in the middle of the night. I can’t figure out what it is but it’s freaking me out like mad.

9. Sarah says:

A friend of mine sent me a link to this particular post because it reminded her of some of the stories I tell about my 5 year old, Hannah. I can totally relate and find it refreshing I’m not the only one that uses the same system for reward that you do.

I agree with the readers that it would be a real shame if the toy magically disappeared. My daughter had a blues clues toy a long time ago that wouldn’t die. It had a motion sensor in it so everytime you walked by it went off on this little tinkly sounding song. it was ok for awhile and then one morning the sun came through a crack in the blinds and hit the sensor and woke us all up at the crack of dawn. Blue went in the storage bin faster then lightening.

10. malia says:

Sweetpea has a Bed Time Ernie doll that she got a few years ago from a well meaning relative. The doll will, when you push his hand, say, “I’m sleepy, I think I’ll go to bed,” (or something like that) and then begin to snore – complete with a chest that moves up and down! When you pick the doll up, he says, “I feel great!” So one day, soon after she received the doll, she was napping in her room. The doll was in her room, but not in bed with her. From the living room we hear, “I feel great!” Freaked. Us. Out! David stealthily went in there and removed the doll so it wouldn’t wake her up!

I think we’re going to have to do some kind of incentive thing with Sweetpea, too. She’s fine with the whole going to bed process but invariably after we’ve tucked her in, turned out the light and left the room, she comes out of her room with some “excuse” to be up. Sometimes it’s to go potty, sometimes it’s for a drink of water, sometimes it’s to tell us something. But it’s getting out of hand so something needs to be done!

Malia:

So far the sticker system works great. Caitlin calls the calendar her “passport.” Don’t ask me why, but it’s kind of cute. She was also queen of prolonging bedtime and it was starting to drive me insane.

Thankfully I just promised Dollar Tree prizes or this could get expensive although I did let it slip that maybe one week we’d go get ice cream as a prize. That is sort of a treat for me, too, though. 😉

12. mamatulip says:

Oh yeah. I am so guilty of telling Julia the batteries on certain toys of hers (and Oliver’s) ran out when in reality, I took them out.