How to Jack Up Mommy’s Blood Pressure

Words you don’t want to hear as you try to relax during the post-dinner, pre-bedtime mayhem when children are in that manic bounce off the wall zone and you keep wondering when, if ever, they are going to wind down:

“Mommy I used the scissors to make her hair pretty!”

So if your kids quietly tiptoe into the kitchen after dinner and your 4-year-old seems to be the ringleader in some sort of mischief, do not assume they are sneaking iced oatmeal cookies from the counter. It could be that your 4-year-old has taken it upon herself to cut her 22-month-old sister’s bangs. Or, rather, cut a one inch chunk out of her sister’s bangs. Luckily Amelia’s bangs were very long and overdue for a trim any way.

And just what happened to the scissors that played a role in this mischief that I normally keep in the kitchen junk drawer? They are now on top of the refrigerator, hopefully well out of reach from big sister, aka Caitlin Scissorhands.

I know the girls are going to play dress up and beauty makeover, but I’ll leave the cutting hair to their hairdresser, otherwise known as grandma (my mom.) And we are saving the aforementioned auburn chunk from Amelia’s bangs. It’s just one of those things we can’t throw away.

Pssst…here’s a picture after I fixed her bangs.

1. mamatulip says:

O.M.G. I think I would have sat down and cried. I’m really glad now that I keep the scissors in the cupboard…

2. Erin says:

buwahahahahaa!! my little sister did that when she was like 3! it was brilliant!! (and then later when she was 14 and I was 20, I said “hey, can you trim my ends?” and she said “you want ME to come near YOU with scissors?” (she did a good job.) just wait until they decide to give barbie a haircut!

3. TINA says:

My sister and I did this several times to each other when we were younger. It made it worse when we were in our preteens and our mom wouldnt cut our hair so we did it ourselves. I think it would have looked better if a 3 year old had cut it.

4. Liza says:

My son cut his sister’s hair to help her take away the tangles, so when you look at sister’s hair from the back, there’s a big chunk of hair that is 2 inches shorter than the rest (this happened when they were 6 and 7)

My daughter cut the back potion of her friend’s hair because they couldn’t get it to go in the ponytail. The friend was having a sleepover here and we wouldn’t have knoen except that when her mom picked her up, she decided to put her hair up in ponytail and that’s when we discovered some unusually short hair in the hairline under the ponytail.

yep, hide all the scissors away!

5. Charla says:

Holy crap! Talk about a freak out! I’m curious, what did you say to Caitlin? I am not very good a talking “reason” with my soon to be 5-year-old, and I’d like to get some pointers. I usually resort to yelling, which probably explains why I don’t have that Mommy of the Year award.

6. BM (Blonde Mom) says:

Charla, if you only knew how many times I immediately resort to yelling. I am not the most patient mommy.

I started to really scold her for getting the scissors in the first place (of course I’m an idiot for having them accessible like that but our breakfast bar is in plain view from the kitchen so she was a superb sneak.) Then she started to cry and crawled under the table. The hubby and I then talked to her about how we know she was just trying to do a good thing for her sister and that was great, but that mommy and daddy can only use those scissors because she or Amelia could have gotten hurt.

She calmed down once she realized she wasn’t really in major trouble. (i.e. no spanking was coming)

I need to take a picture of the chunk of hair. Don’t ask me what we’re going to do with it. Shadowbox perhaps? HA! I’m just going to file it away with the used positive home pregnancy tests I can’t seem to toss either.

Thanks for the comment on the new header. My hubby helped with the technical part of uploading it to my host. I have been wanting to customize it for a while.

8. Bluegrass Mama says:

Emily cut several inches off of her own hair a month or so before she turned 3. (I was relieved when the hairdresser told me she could salvage a chin-length bob out of it!). Since it was a couple of weeks before Christmas, I bought some clear ornaments, glued a strand of hair so it was hanging down inside, then decorated it with a paint pen. Not that I’m crafy, mind you. I drew a pair of scissors, her name and some dots for decoration. I had enough hair that I made one for us, one for each set of grandparents, AND her godparents. 9 years later it’s one of my favorite ornaments.

9. Mrs. M says:

i had really long heavy hair as a child and it was often pulled back in a pony tail. One day in first grade i was tired of the whispys that fell around my face and my bangs were falling in my eyes too. So I took my playschool scissors and gave myself a chop. In my first grade school pic I have half inch long bangs and sideburns!

hope amelia isn’t taking pics anytime soon! 🙂

10. Renee says:

I was hoping she was talking about a barbie doll or something and not an actual person! Oh no!
    I love your new banner!