It’s Good to Be Queen

Caitlin has been sick since Saturday, but seems to be fully recovered as she was fighting with baby sister yesterday over who was going to pretend cook in their toy kitchen. (Thankfully she tested negative for strep throat on Monday.) Many cinematic classics have been viewed during her recuperation …cinematic classics such as Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper and My Little Pony: The Quest of the Princess Ponies. Cough, cough.

The My Little Pony DVDs are nightmarishly bad, but Caitlin loves them and unfortunately this means the My Little Pony theme song is stuck in my brain for the duration of winter, which in and of itself is a form of excruciating mental torture. The Barbie DVDs are much more tolerable. Good Lord, did I just admit that?

After the curtains finally closed on our Barbie Princess and the Pauper movie marathon in our den yesterday, Caitlin twirled into the kitchen last night wearing a play crown, bejeweled with dazzling purple and pink gems. She looked at me and curtsied.

“Oh, good evening Princess Caitlin! How are you?” I asked.

“Mommy, I am not a princess…I am the queen!”

1. Renee says:

Too cute. But I think YOU should get to be the queen after having to watch those movies!
    Don’t you?

See, I have to agree with you. We don’t have the barbie pauper movie but we do own the 12 dancing princesses and it just has a more refined plot than either of the my little pony movies.

shudder.

3. malia says:

Yes, those MLP movies are horrid! I, like you, would pick the Barbie ones over MLP any day!

Too cute about Caitlin being the “queen”! Sweetpea used to dress up like Belle from Beauty and the Beast and have me dialogue with her as if we were in the movie. I think I was usually Gaston getting the big “dis” from Belle. Ah, the memories.

4. Liz says:

Gosh, I can understand the poor little thing – being sick with Barbie videos here, too – why settle for anything less than Queen, I say, being but a mere peasant in my kingdom ;o)

5. jag says:

My little pooooNEEEEEE, MY little PO-neeeeeee!

I haven’t seen a MLP cartoon in years and years and years, but the kid and I rented the Barbie Nutcracker last year (wait, two years ago….January sucks when making ‘last year’ references) and it creeped me out, how exact the dancing was, since they use the motion sensor balls on real ballet dancers and all. Nightmare central there.

6. Liza says:

yeah, why be a princess, when you can be a queen? – LOL!

Cute!

We’re now past the Barbie era in our life (thankfully), but as you’ve read in my blog, we’re now on a “Queen Bee or Wanna” era of the pre-tween. Hay….

7. Paige says:

Are the My Little Pony movies that bad? They were my favorite toys as a little girl! I had the Paradise Estate and everything. I bet they’ve moved to better digs right?

8. Nicole says:

Having now met Caitlin, I can agree that she is a QUEEN, not a princess. She is in charge.

Note to self: do not make Claire aware that My Little Pony DVDs exist. cannot. spare. brain. cells.

9. Charla says:

Ok:
    List of movies NOT to buy:

1. My Little Pony anything
    2. Barbie anything

Care to add?

Just don’t tell the Queen, m’kay…

Charla:

I would also add any Hello Kitty “movies,” and I use the term movies lightly.

Barbie I can actually tolerate.

Anyone else have any recommendations to the “no viewing” list?