Let’s Get This Potty Started

Over the past few weeks Amelia has begun toddling to the bathroom, lifting the lid to the baby potty (you know you live with small children when a baby potty is as permanent a fixture in your bathroom as a tube of toothpaste) and tugging on her clothing as if to say, “Hey, how do I get out of this thang?” I find this flirtation with the potty very exciting as it signals the final frontier of diapering. I make a HUGE deal over her potty curiosity and sometimes join her potty party, sitting beside her on my own porcelain throne so that mama can show her how to get ‘er done. Sometimes I turn the water faucet on for a little audio inspiration and make a little “psssssssss†sound effect. Amelia finally christened the potty with a few droplets of pee late yesterday, although of course I had stepped out of the bathroom for a few seconds and missed the entire thing. I mean it had to be her, unless one of the dogs snuck in the bathroom and relieved themselves in her potty and we all know the likelihood of that happening.

Amelia will be 2 in March and Caitlin was also around 2 when she started showing an interest in ditching diapers. Frankly I’m a little surprised at Amelia’s newfound interest in the potty, as I have done absolutely nothing to encourage it (I’m lazy), but I’ll gladly take it and run with it as if it were the last roll of toilet paper on the planet and I’d just eaten a rack of spicy ribs at the Rendezvous in Memphis. (Wait a minute, something like that did happen to me once.) Any way, I digress. It helped greatly with Caitlin that her teachers were also working with her on potty training at daycare. Call us crazy, but there’s something about the thought of no longer having to buy diapers that makes the hubby and I a little wistful. I also recall how terrible disgusting those trips to a public restroom can be with a potty training trainee and realize that is one reason I am in no hurry to rush the entire potty training thing. I mean there’s nothing more fun than being in the middle of the grocery store and your potty training trainee declaring, “Mommy I GO POTTY! I go potty NOW!!!” and you sprinting to the restroom so that you don’t miss a potty training moment.

So the era of big girl panties is about to unfold. If you’d told me 10 years ago I’d some day be writing about potty training on the Internet, I would have looked at you like you were crazy and then double checked to make sure I’d taken my birth control pill.

1. Erin says:

ROFL!!! I guess I always thought that parents were in a rush to potty train (but I’m not a parent really and my stepdaughters are old enough that they are interested in big girl underwear as in Victoria’s Secret underwear much to my husband’s dismay). It seems like it would be a bittersweet time. (my day will come )

2. Charla says:

Just pat me on the back and say “poor, poor, pitiful you” because we will be a diapering household for MANY MANY MORE YEARS!

I remember when I thought Chase would NEVER show an interest in potty training. He was a couple of months past 3 when he FINALLY started going to the potty. I’m very impressed with Amelia’s go-gettedness (totally a made up word).

3. Colleen says:

Delaney (who turns two in March) is revealing an interest in the potty too and I’m both thrilled and terrified (your public potty stories are the source of my terror, thanks!). She pulled down her pants today and said, “I needa go potty.” I plopped her down on the baby potty and nothing happened. We hung out for a while and waited. Still, nothing. But, we’re closer than we’ve been in a long while. You’re lucky you’ve been through this before. I’m on totally foreign ground here! Any tips and hints will be greatly appreciated. 🙂

4. Emily says:

I am so freaking jealous.

Jackson knows how to go in the potty. He can do it. He just won’t be bothered to go on his own, and doesn’t care when he’s wet. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that he’ll do it when he’s gosh-darn ready to, and there’s no sense in really going overboard about it.

Well everyone I think this is just a flirtation/fascination with the potty right now. I don’t think Amelia is really ready to potty train but I will definitely encourage it. In other words, I’ve probably jinxed myself by writing about this and she won’t sit on the potty again for another six months!

Colleen, this might be a good motivator to enroll Delaney in a Mother’s Day Out type program…they will work with her on the potty thing! 😉

And Emily and Charla I have heard that boys are tougher to potty train.

Jamie

p.s. this is the one sole potty book we own, but I got our nephew a cute Elmo potty book that also looks good:

6. Liza says:

Yep…”potty training”..a major event in the lives of moms :).. a milestone we “cherish” 🙂 … we, moms, are such a “weird” bunch, aren’t we?

7. RichieAnn says:

I’m at least a year away from potty training. I have no idea how I’m going to start that process. Seriously no clue so am interested in following your progress.

8. Nicole says:

Go Amelia Go! Claire showed an early interest as well, and was ready before I was, quite frankly. But Amelia likes to do everything Caitlin does, so be sure to rope big sister into the demos and the potty dance party rewards.

9. Suburban Mum says:

My little boy is 2 on Friday and he’s just started showing an interest in his potty this week. I’m terrified!

Great blog, found you through mybloglog.com.

10. Library Mama says:

Good luck with it all. Sounds like Amelia has a pretty good handle on things, though.

Even with three older boys, I wouldn’t know how to potty-train anyone. I was fortunate enough to have trained daycare workers do most of the “dirty work” for me.

They did a great job!

🙂

11. Dawn K says:

It’s been a long time since I read anything that made me laugh out loud! Hilarious and what I have to look forward to. Right now Harper just pees on the wall when I change his diaper. Luckily the fountain points away instead of at Mommy!

Dawn

12. Pattie says:

Jamie,
    This is so funny, because with my two older kids, I was trying to “train” them, which neither one was in a big rush to do. My son was 3.5, and my daughter was close to three when they decided. Now, my little one decided at 18 months she was ready with no encouragement from me (I am totally lazy, too!)She decided this just before a LONG road trip. I totally know what you mean about the “restroom” thing with a new trainee. For a fleeting moment, I missed the diapers.

13. Mrs. Flinger says:

Your comment and the “flirtaion with the potty” is cracking me up, along with the entire post. Isn’t it fun? Potty training? When I ask LB what she likes about school she says, “I go peepee at school.”

So much for learning colors or something.

14. Diane says:

Hi. I have been reading your blog for a while. My little Leah will also be 2 in March and is showing a LOT of interest in the Potty. Her sister (who will be 4 in June) still fights us tooth and nail. Perhaps we will be out of pullups when she turns 12?

15. Oma Flinger says:

I loved being at the Flinger household, putting LB on the potty and singing that famous song “poop goes in the potty.”

De-lurking with wishes of luck.