Like Britney and Paris, Only We Have Brains and Wear Underwear

I know earlier this week I said it was the year I was going to grow cajones, but it’s also the year of the margarita.

Nicole (Margaritabelle) and I met for margaritas (OK, OK a grand total of TWO between us) at a local Mexican restaurant last night for the second time since the first of December. How awesome is it that our monthly margarita get together is mentioned as part of her New Year’s resolutions? Nicole and her husband and their adorable daughter are moving to Charleston in June so our monthly margarita outings will come to a halt, although my tequila radar senses that margarita night will live on, despite the long distance.

Once again we were the last customers to leave the restaurant. Once again we talked and talked and talked about work, kids, friends, and blogging. I think it’s pretty amazing that someone I met in “blogland” lives practically within spitting distance of me. What are the odds?

I joke about the celebrity status in my post title because the server said he remembered us “from last time” after we told him we weren’t going to order any dinner from the oversized laminated menu. Once again we chose a booth and ordered nothing but chips and salsa and that artery clogging white queso that is so good. Our hangout is a little smoky neighborhood Mexican restaurant, the kind that leaves your clothing and hair steeped in the essence of deep fried Chimichanga. The cool thing is last night I realized I have been going to this particular restaurant for more than a dozen years. I’m glad to share the familiar cheap tequila margaritas with a new friend.

I’m trying to do more “girl nights” this year. Tomorrow morning the girls and I are going to hang out with my best friend and her three boys in my hometown while the hubby does some work there. She and I have known each other since 4th grade and have survived bad perms, bad choices in boyfriends, big hair, the too much Bacardi and Coke freshman year episode in 1987 I think we’d both like to forget, and bridesmaid duties. We’re now in the “let’s do lunch” phase and the “if you ever need a casserole, call me hon” phase and the “oh my Lord, my kids are kind of driving me nuts today” phase.

True friendship transcends time and distance and really bad fashion choices, like my sophomore year of high school when I thought neon clothing was so hot but was really just plain ugly.

So have you done lunch or margaritas with a girlfriend lately?

This entry was posted in Friends.

1. Mrs. M says:

this weekend acutally! my second oldest friend and i are doing a full day of bridal show and wedding planning goodness for her upcoming wedding! i love girly time but sadly the majority of my close girl friends are spread about.

2. mamatulip says:

Getting out with friends is something I really feel is important for mothers. I try to get together with my best friend at least two Saturday’s a month — usually we just end up at her house, watching COPS…but it’s “us” time. Girl time. It’s important.

3. deb says:

I enjoyed a girlfiend lunch during the week of Christmas with my best friend who moved away to another state. I’ve missed her so much and we spend a good 2 hours in the restaurant talking and eating and had such a good time together. Too bad we live so far away from each other now. I don’t really have any other girlfriends which is probably all my own fault but it’s the truth.

I’m glad you had a good time! My oldest daughter who has the 2 kids is doing the same thing as you…trying to schedule some time with her girlfriends with whom she’d lost touch since highschool.

4. MamaChristy says:

No, not lately. But I need to. Badly. I’m supposed to go to my first Bunco game as an official member on the 13th, so I think that will be my monthly for the time being.

5. Bluegrass Mama says:

Not lately enough! But February’s looking good, with an entire girls’ WEEKEND plus a good friend’s birthday which always requires lunch out.

6. Nicole says:

I’m just trying to figure out when the next margarita night is. Of course, next time they’ll probably lock the doors when they see us coming.

7. R*belle says:

Your loss will be my gain! I hope to be having margaritas with Nicole soon!

I toasted with Calibelle recently though!

8. Mrs. Flinger says:

I happily meet Paige at least once a week, although no margaritas for me (as I get kicked my coffeebean fetus). But I DID have a dream that I met anne of texasbelle fame last night. Does that count? Or is that just weird?

9. Colleen says:

I went to a new friend’s house last night for wine and girl talk. It was divine. She’s new to blogging so in between gabbing about our lives, the world and our kids, we jumped on Bloglines and I introduced her to my blogroll. Worlds collided, but it was a good thing.

10. paige says:

Girls nights are a must for mommies! I recently just started having them with a group of “mom friends” We also just went to a mexican restuarant and stayed until closing. It’s so great to talk to other moms about children, husbands, jobs etc!

11. Jamie says:

Amanda:

You sound really down in your comment.

I don’t have a lot of close friends, but I do treasure the good friendships I have.

Hang in there…

Jamie

12. Amanda says:

Oh, I was just kidding. I do have friends. I was just trying to make me laugh. Sorry. I am having a really bad week.

Sorry, Jamie I was just joking around. I have wonderful friends that I am very thankful for.

13. Amy says:

I had forgotten that Bacarrdi and coke episode…until now! HA! eeew. What a night. I hope Valerie destoyed the photographic evidence!!!
    I got your message and tried to call. Will try again. I hope Caitlin is doing o.k.
    p.s. Had a great date night last night, now I need to go out and drink with you. Corona for me though…NO tequila!!

14. Angel says:

First of all, you have me craving Mexican and margaritas. Two of my favorite things! Secondly, I love my girls nights. If you can survive motherhood without them, I do not think you should!
    And while meeting with a girlfriend who has kids your age, and letting them play is nice, my favorite is when there are no kids within screaming distance.
    I am blessed to have a hubby who lets me do that now and then!

15. Pattie says:

Jamie, This post made my heart soar. There is nothing like spending time out with a good friend. I just did this myself with a few girlfriends.

Oh, and that little Mexican place you frequent sounds like my kind of place! If I am ever in Nashville, we shall have to go!

16. Nancy says:

I had a girls’ night (well, playdate with food and wine) with my friend Chloe the other night. I swear even when we do it every couple of weeks it isn’t often enough. 🙂

Glad you and Nicole had a good time — I’m jealous that two of my favorite bloggers were able to get together.

um no. thanks for reminding me what an asshat i am! and i also think it kicks ass that you are able to go out with a bloggy friend too. i’ve only done that a time or two and then she moved away. 🙁

Well I had to cancel on my friend Saturday. Caitlin had a fever and I took her to the pediatrician today. Tested her for strep and it came back negative so that’s a good thing!

And I have to add that I don’t have a “ton” of girlfriends. I have just a few, but I’m trying to work on maintaining those friendships.

19. Kristen says:

We go out with my parents for white queso and margaritas every Sunday night. I could totally see adding a girls’ night to the mix, though. Can’t have too much white queso and margaritas…right?

20. mediakath says:

yes, my 2 best friends from h.s. (whom I haven’t seen in over 5 years!) got together for a 3-hour lunch on Saturday…I drove 7 hours total for that lunch and it was VERY worth it 🙂