I Guess a Bag of Ice is Out of the Question

Last night when I picked the girls up from daycare I remembered that today is Caitlin’s Thanksgiving party. There was a sign-up sheet posted on the classroom bulletin board and it looked like I was one of the last parents to sign up to bring in the usual turkey or dressing. The assistant director, a young single woman, heard me bitching discussing this and rechecked the date as she thought it was scheduled for next week.

I felt bad for not expressing my early Turkey Day throwdown love, but she said, “Sign up for chips! No one’s volunteered to bring in a bag of chips!” I told her that I would love to bring in chips, but Caitlin’s teacher had asked us to bring in a Thanksgiving family recipe to share with the class and our child was actually supposed to help prepare said recipe.

Ohhhh. Well, you know what kind of mom I’ll be! I’ll be the one bringing in chips,!” she laughed. Really I could have grabbed her and kissed her right then.

Just then another mom walked in and I reminded her about the party. “Great…I’m going to have to go to the grocery now!,” was pretty much her response. Obviously the week before Thanksgiving party is going over like a jumbo container of Tums. I told her I’d also forgotten and that I’d be stopping by the grocery, too. I told her she could always go the Charlie Brown menu route and sign up to bring in popcorn or toast, to which she replied…”You know, our family likes to eat cereal on Thanksgiving. And sometimes? We fast.”

I’m going to cheat pick up a pumpkin pie at the grocery this morning and bring in a simple pumpkin pie recipe and not worry that it’s not homemade. Besides, if her teacher asks how she helped make the pie, Caitlin can say, “I helped mommy ring it up at Publix!”

I know…for some reason, it feels like very other week I am supposed to bring something to Lily’s preschool. Hello! I thought that is why I am paying all the extra tuition fees! Fortunately, for their turkey party tomorrow I was assigned Bugles for their frienship granola/chex mix or something. Little kids don’t care about actual thanksgiving food at this age yet!

2. malia says:

Popcorn and toast! Love it!

My husband’s office is having a “T-giving” meal next week and the catch is that the food they bring can not be TG related (as not to inundate everyone with the usual fare right before TG). In the e-mail he sent out he suggested that someone could bring popcorn and toast. But when he told me that I said, but that IS related to TG

3. Charla says:

“Really I could have grabbed her and kissed her right then.”

Hmmm…about like I could do to you for writing this post? You are a woman after my own heart! If I can’t buy it or have someone make it for me, it ain’t gonna get made!

Ya’ll there were cans of, yes cans, of cranberry sauce and a big thing of storebought rolls from some of the other moms so I am letting the mommy guilt roll off of me. Yes!

And besides, Caitlin thought it was totally cool to go to the grocery before school.

5. Renee says:

you’re speaking what I’m talkin’!
    We have these little breakfast celebrations at work and I’m always the one signing up for ‘napkins’, ‘paper plates’ or ‘o.j.’.

6. Pattie says:

Jamie,
    This post is so timely, as I just returned from Thanksgiving lunch at my daughter’s preschool. Everyone had to bring something in. I misunderstood the directions. It said “1 bag of stuffing”...so that is what I brought in. Imagine my embarassment when I saw other folks coming in with their stuff…already cooked. Well, duh! What was I thinking? I felt so foolish!

Pattie:

I am laughing with you, not at you, but that is HILARIOUS! 🙂 Sounds like something I would do.

Jamie

8. Bluegrass Mama says:

The asst director SUGGESTED chips and you resisted? I’ve had said that it WAS one our family recipes!

9. mayberry says:

I’ve said it before—one of the many reasons I love our day care is that any food we bring in MUST BE storebought! (something about safety/hygiene/liability—but I just say yipppeee!)

10. Nicole says:

This is so timely! I am reading this book about a working mom (I Don’t Know How She Does It) and one of the first scenes is her, up at 2 am, “distressing” mincemeat pies (she’s British) so that she can fool the other moms into thinking they are homemade.

I actually love to back with Claire. But we usually stick to cupcakes or cookies. And yes, I let her eat the dough.

11. Charla says:

I had to come back to say that I thought of you TWICE today…first in the office at school when we were signing up to bring items for our “Christmas Calorie Party,” and I signed up for bottled water. Then, second, at Chase’s preschool when I had a pang of mommy-guilt and signed up for a – brace yourself – vegetable! I thought I could make one of my favorites, either green-bean casserole (I have the greatest recipe) or hashbrown casserole. Since it is more for the parents, I thought either one would be fine (and they are both super easy!)

Charla you must share the recipes! Seriously… 🙂

WTF is a Christmas Calorie Party? Is that an oxymoron?

13. sweatpantsmom says:

I’m all about the store-bought goodies.

Have you ever read “I Don’t Know How She Does It.” There’s a part where the main character, a working mom, buys store-bought cakes for her daughter’s school but then messes them up at home to make them look homemade.

I can so relate.