Dipping My Kids in Antibacterial Gel Sounds Like an Option

I’m taking Amelia to the pediatrician today. She’s been a virtual snot fountain for over a week and this morning her eyes were crusted together. That is not a good sign. Thankfully since having tubes put in her ears this summer, she’s no longer getting ear infections. But the snot? When does it stop? I’m tired of being tired. The hubby and I were both up with her between midnight and 1 a.m. She usually wants mommy in the middle of the night when she wakes up coughing so we curled up in the recliner under a quilt and I slathered her chest with Vicks. The hubby has her cold and now Caitlin is complaining about her “sneezy nose.” Somehow I keep dodging the cold bullet. Hopefully I used up my sick card this past summer when I had the freak strain of July pneumonia.

I’m the youngest of five kids and by the time I came along my mother jokes that she just didn’t take me anywhere because she was so tired of going to the pediatrician’s office. I know my SAHM friends also struggle with sick kids, too, so the germs are not just a daycare phenomenon. I push the hand washing like a crazy lady and I have antibacterial gel stashed everywhere. In fact, that new lovely scent my co-workers comment on is usually antibacterial gel. Which reminds me, I haven’t used any in the last hour (reaching over to sanitize my hands now.)

It’s going to be a long winter.

1. Charla says:

Oh, the snot…I KNOW! Sick season has been rempant here at school already. I think it’s going to be BAD this winter. Ugh.

2. kelli says:

That is so strange that you said that about your daughters eyes being crusted. This morning Gianna’s were also gooey. I had to wipe them with a warm rag. Then when she got up from her nap, crusted again. I was hoping it wasn’t pink eye. I guess it’s part of the cold she has. I feel like she’s had a runny nose and cough for a month! I agree with you on the hand gel too!

Well basically I went and spent a $20 copay to have her pediatrician tell me it was just a cold. He did prescribe an antibiotic ointment for her eyes but I realized when we got home we already have a tube from last year.

Oh well. The good news is her ear tubes are still intact and they are doing their job. No fever and her chest was clear. He told me not to give her a cough suppressant at night to which I am thinking how the heck are we (collective we as in the family) supposed to sleep?!?

We are now home and she’s coloring in her booster seat and she’s babbling.

It’s just that time of year, falling leaes, cooler temperatures, holiday cooking, and virtual snot factories every where you turn. you are the younges tof 5 kids?? holy crap I bet your Mom has some STORIES. Wow.

5. Your best friend says:

Cam is the same way. Just got up from a nap and it was like a scene from the Excorcist!! Horrible screaming and lots of snot! He is calm now and eating cheetos watching Monsters Inc. He likes Mike. whew…

6. Jenny R. says:

I’m NEVER able to dodge a cold. But then I finally did a few months ago when my hubby had one. A proud moment. Best of luck to you. Hope your family gets well soon.

7. Colleen says:

Oh, yeah, the SAHM kids get sick too. ALL THE TIME. I dread taking Delaney any place this time of year. I envision I have special sight, like infrared, and can see the germs crawling all over every single thing she touches. I whip out that antibacterial stuff so fast. She already loves washing her hands so there’s hope for us yet.

A long winter, indeed.

I hope she feels better soon!

8. Mrs. Flinger says:

As a very paranoid pregnant lady of a toddler who just started preschool, I’ve considered the anit-bacterial bath as well.

I’m so sorry hon. I hope ya’ll get the icky out early and have a heatlhy winter.

9. mamatulip says:

Dipping my children in antibacterial gel sounds like a wonderful idea. We’ve been battling a nasty throat infection/cough/cold for over a month now. I am so. tired. of. it.

Hope Amelia’s feeling better. 🙂

10. Renee says:

Hope the snot fountain is closing down soon. I’ve had my own fountain of snot for about a week and a half now, but it seems to be slowing down. Knock on something.

11. Christine says:

We have the snot factory going at my house too – my 4 year old, Abby, woke up Friday morning with one eye crusted shut with green goo…..how pleasant. This morning we woke up with crusty green snot dried on the side of her face. I LOVE cold season…..not….and I catch every flippin cold she gets, without failure. Sigh.

12. Bluegrass Mama says:

I actually take the other side and avoid antibacterial cleaners since everything I’ve read says that soap and water work just as well without building up strains of super-resistant bacteria. I guess they’re coming anyway, since everyone else uses it, so maybe I should go with the flow.