Rummy’s Out

The people have spoken. He’s out. And President Bush has nominated former CIA chief Robert Gates to replace Donald Rumsfeld.

I haven’t seen much coverage of the editorial piece that was published Monday in the 250,000 copies of the Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times, and Air Force Times, asking for Donald Rumsfeld’s resignation.

Here’s a link to the editorial. And today we hear that Rummy is resigning.

I leave you with a photo of Rumsfeld from his Princeton days.

He’s always depicted as a pointing, furrowed brow curmudgeon so I thought I’d hunt down a flattering picture of him. Granted it’s a 50-year-old picture, but still. Politics does age you. I wonder if there is a spa for political resignees?

Any way, that’s my political wrapup for the week. My friend R*Belle just launched a great new blog (I believe it’s now a must for people to have more than one blog) called Moms on the Fly to help you keep up with current events.

1. Kristen says:

I’ve always noticed that politics dramatically ages everyone who gets heavily into it. Pretty amazing, actually.

2. Nicole says:

Um, you cannot post stuff like this and not come and play with me at the new site. Seriously. You owe me an e-mail.

And! I think I saw you a couple of days ago on Old Harding Pike. Was going to honk, but if it was the hubs, he’d be scared of the crazy lady honking and waving wildly.

Come to think of it, you might have been scared too.

3. Josh says:

So, that’s Rummy in his early days. He actually looks more serious then… I’m glad he lightened up to give us all those entertaining press conferences.

Nicole, I think you inspired me to actually post two political posts in one week! 😉

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming…poop and margaritas.

5. Pattie says:

Hi Jamie,
    I must say that he was actually kind of cute back then.
    I went and checked our R*belle’s site. I really think that is a great idea.

6. Library Mama says:

I almost wish you hadn’t posted that photo of younger Rumsfeld, because I think he was sort of hot, and thinking of him that way is a little like thinking of your grandpa that way. Ewwwwww!

You’re right about politics aging people, though. My husband has worked in the political background, and sometimes it only takes four or five years for someone to physically age a generation or so. It’s scary.