Yoga Mama

I went to my first full-fledged yoga class last Friday. Oh sure…I bought a pregnancy video tape that I swayed and om’d randomly to during both pregnancies and there was that class I took years ago at the employee wellness center but this class was FOR REAL people. There were mats! There were straps! There were blocks! There were blankets! My brother has been practicing yoga for quite some time and invited me to a class taught by a friend at a hip local studio (rumor has it that a certain Australian actress who has recently moved to Nashvegas has taken classes there). Friday is my day off, I couldn’t think of any excuse to not go and as I have been pretty slack on exercising lately I took the yoga plunge. I really enjoyed the class although I was a little nervous about some of the poses and was relieved that there were only six of us present, including the teacher. The triangle pose, for example? Totally kicked my molded to an office chair four days a week booty. Concentrating on balancing my clumsy self without falling took most of my mental energy and for more than an hour I found myself not thinking about deadlines, bills, diapers, or any other million routine things I obsess about. Although there were a few times I thought I might dislocate my left knee and my ab muscles started to spasm in shock from actual use, I walked out of the class without limping! What I’m most proud of, however, was my ability to meditate and completely tune out the guy in the corner whose breathing reminded me of a cow in heat. Now that took concentration.

1. Liz says:

Ah, yoga – I go on Mondays for an hour and a half – I can’t wait to get into those poses…I can’t possibly hold…without farting, a little.

Oy – how I’ve lost control of my body!

2. Valerie says:

I actually taught “Mind/Body Balance” for about three years–a blend of yoga and pilates. I LOVED IT. You’re right–it looks like nothing if you just stand back and watch, but if you do it right, you use EVERY MUSCLE OF YOUR BODY–most importantly your brain and heart! Since I quit teaching about two years ago, I only do some of the poses from time to time, favoring getting a good sweat going with a run since I have limited time. But there’s nothing like Child Pose to really help you calm down and get focused when your kids are going nuts around you–try it! Just curl down and sit on your knees, resting your bottom on your heels. Round your back and put your forehead to the floor, your shoulders pulled down away from your ears and your arms extended back so that the backs of your hands rest to the outsides of your feet. Now just BREATHE. It’s like you’ve created your own little cocoon!

3. Pattie says:

I have been wanting to try yoga for a while now. Maybe I will after reading your story.
    Oh, and BTW, that is one human trait that disgusts me….heavy breathing….. *shudder*

4. Kristen says:

I have a yoga video that kicks my butt – and it’s a beginner. Can’t imagine how I’d do in a real live class!

5. Aurelia Williams says:

I did yoga for the 1st 5 months of my pregnancy & I really enjoyed it.

Isn’t meditation GREAT. BTW – what exactly does a cow in heat sound like….LOL

6. Mrs. Flinger says:

LOL! I found myself hating the girl in front of my for her hot body and cute pig-tails (and I hate pig-tails on an adult)

I didn’t elave with the same “I feel great about my body!” feeling I was hoping for. 🙂

7. Nancy says:

I’ve been thinking about taking a yoga class at a local studio, but they describe it as 90 minutes in 90 plus degree heat. I have a feeling I’d wilt after the first 15 minutes and slink out, thereafter too ashamed to show my face again. It’s great that you have been so ambitious and successful!

8. Colleen says:

I’m so glad you tried yoga! I love it. And, I had lots of trouble with triangle too when I first started. But, I stuck with it and now I can do it with ease. I love the way I see improvements in my body each time I go. I try to go 2-4 times per week and I’ve really built up strength and stamina. And of course, the stress relief is addictive. Are you going back for more?