Baby’s First Car Ride

Today’s Writing Wednesday topic, “Firsts,” is the brainchild of the fabulous Margarita Belle Nicole at Sitting Still. She and Mrs. Flinger put their collective bloggy creativity together and came up with Writing Wednesday. If you’d like to participate, put the link to your blog post in the comments or just write them below!

After four nights confined to a small room with nothing to eat but hospital cafeteria food, I was ready to escape flimsy oversized nursing gowns, mesh washable panties, and nurses monitoring my every bodily function. I was ready to go home with my husband and beautiful new daughter and be a mother. Beaten down mentally for the last time by the boob nazi (aka lactation consultant) and longing for my own bed, we packed our things in a frenzy after I was finally released late on a Monday afternoon. I had crammed hospital baby blankets, newborn diapers, and enough freebie bulb syringes to siphon the snot out of every infant within a 5-mile radius into my overnight bag. The hubby had loaded the trunk down with presents in pastel gift bags and flower arrangements sent by friends and family. I had nervously strapped Caitlin in her infant car seat, sweating with anxious hormonal fear that I had somehow not done it right and she would be crippled for life while she peered from beneath a sea of pink, all the while sucking contentedly on a pacifier at her clueless new mama. I don’t have any pictures of our getaway because I was so anxious to get home. (In contrast, we have several photographs of Amelia’s trip home from the hospital but I was feeling a thousand times better emotionally, mentally, and physically.) The weather was perfect for early June. It was sunny with not a cloud in the sky, quite the contrast to the 3 a.m. drive in the thunderstorm we made days earlier when my labor pains progressed to the point where I was oblivious to the crazy laboring lady things I was shrieking at the graveyard shift security guard standing watch at the door to mecca, otherwise known as the altar of epidurals. I sat in the back seat of our Honda as we listened to the same classical music CD we’d listened to on the way to the hospital days before. I looked out the window and then down at our beautiful little girl and I cried, like a baby, all the way home.

1. Domestic_Slackstress Kim says:

I cried once I got home, for what seemed like days. I cried b/c I didn’t know for sure if I could handle the responsibility of being a mother. But there was no turning back. I barely remember my first-born son’s ride home from the hospital. His brother came 2 years after him at home in bed, then his sister just a year later at home in bed. I really loved your recollection of that first ride though, filled with so much anticipation and hope. Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing.

2. Nicole says:

Thanks for participating again this week! This is a wonderful story. It took me back with you, with all those first time mom anxieties. I’m glad it was easier the second time around!

3. Pattie says:

*sniff* :'(

I can relate. I didn’t feel that way so much with my first two, but definately with my third….I think it was post partum depression that lasted two years! *LOL*

I totally remember those tears. The first week with Lily at home I remember just staring at her in my arms and bawling for no good reason. Oh lord, the mesh panties…I forgot all about those and the horse sized panty-liners. YAY! Beautiful story, hon.

5. Mrs. Flinger says:

Yes! I bawled in the car as we put lil’ LB in the back, I sat with her, and said, “What do we do now?”

Love your WW. You always live up to your name. 🙂

Ya’ll actually I was crying with happiness on the way home. But later I was crying because I was freaking out with a newborn. 😉

7. Renee says:

That ride home had always been a little frightening for me, even with baby #3. Thinking life will never be the same . . .

8. Amanda says:

It didn’t hit me with the first until I was home the first day and Dean and to go to a meeting. I didn’t move until he got home.

Great post!!!!!!!!!1

9. Chris says:

The boob nazi – I thought she lived here by us, in Ohio! That woman clamped down on my boob so hard I think the people 3 floors away heard me shriek……..and I remember sitting in the backseat with my newborn, holding her little head so it didn’t bump in the padded little headrest around it – how nuts was I…

10. Avalon Timothy says:

I was so freaked out on our first car ride with my daughter. She was so tiny, even the with all the straps on the car seat adjusted to the tightest setting, she still seamed too loose… And now, look at her tries to unbuckle herself each time!

11. Scot says:

Freaked out is not the word I would use….Honestly –when I was 10 months old (it was 1966) I crawled out of my carseat got on the drivers side floorboard and leaned against the gas and unknowst to me the car rolled through my aunts front yard fence!!!

Scot