Multitasking While Relaxing Since I Left the Womb

Last night the hubby and I curled up on our respectively claimed areas of the den and watched the two-hour season premiere of Battlestar Galactica we taped Friday. For a few blissful hours I sat sipping a glass of wine and was nearly silent, which I’m sure was music to the hubby’s ears as I am a big talker. But during the commercial breaks, as the hubby fast forwarded through the commercials, I started talking about everything from Caitlin’s soccer game that day to Christmas gift ideas to my hair, which desperately needs de-rootifying.

The hubby: “How do you do that…just switch mental gears like that?”

Me: “I don’t know, I just do. I don’t necessarily like that I do it, but I do. It’s hard for me to shut my brain down.”

I’m not sure what gene I possess that enables me to multithink (term coined by the hubby which very accurately describes the way my brain flits from one unrelated topic to the next), but I think it’s the same one that allows me to surf the Internet, participate in a conference call, check e-mail, make a grocery list, draft interview questions, and obsess about whether or not I wrote the daycare check for the week and how I need to find the perfect outfit for the girls to wear for their Christmas portrait simultaneously. And that’s just at work.

Laura:

I LOVE BSG…the premiere was awesome. I’m psyched for next week’s episode. I can’t get over Jamie Bamber’s weight gain, though. But he’s still hot.

I do think the gear switching is a woman thing, too. 😉

Jamie

2. MamaChristy says:

Agreed; it’s a woman thing. Men are irritate by this primarily because they are usually unable to do it as well as we can. Those men of ours need to be on their toes to keep up with us. It’s how we keep them young. 🙂

3. Colleen says:

I do the same thing but instead of calling it “multithinking” my husband calls it “Colleening.” Funny how they coin phrases to describe what should really just be called higher intelligence!

4. Pattie says:

Jamie,
    I saw a show once on the Discovery channel that was about men and women and the ability of each sex to multi task. There were 15 men and 15 women choosen to do various tasks while being taped. They may have had to send a fax while talking on the phone, and sign for a package while talking to a child. Needless to say, all 15 women performed each task easily. Not one of the men could complete all the tasks on the list.
    I found this quite amusing. I bring it up to my husband and his reply?
    “Men have to think about sex and always be doing something else at the same time. Hence, we are the ultimate multitaskers.”
    What a guy. Typical 🙂

thank GAWD for the return of battlestar, we have been chomping at the bit since last season ended. i will say this, Starbuck is still my favorite character. She is so fierce! And I was heartbroken that Apollo is not nearly so sexy anymore. That boy needs to start working out. sigh.

I think the gear-switching may be an XX chromosome thing. Shan doesn’t get it either and when I do it, most of the time he doesn’t notice anyway because he automatically stopped listening at that point. er, wow. cough.

6. Heather says:

My husband is watching BSG on TiVo right now. I was wathing but stopped when that guy got stabbed through the neck. *shudders*

I wish I could multi-think like you. I am great at free association but, multi-thinking? Not so much.

7. Library Mam says:

Hah!

I love the conversation with your husband. And I especially love the admiring wonder I detect in his voice.

I can’t let my Main Man read your post because he lives for the new BSG and has been trying to get me into it. It’s just not working.

If he reads that you like it, he’ll never give up!

🙂

8. Renee says:

It’s a special talent that you have and that’s all there is to it! I can do it somewhat, but not to that full extent. I wish I could!

9. Amanda says:

I think the reason I don’t get any sleep is because I lay in bed and think about everything I have to do this week.

Girl, you got talent.

10. Liz says:

Another BSG family of viewers, chiming in – my husband seems to be suffering from the, “Help…my wife won’t stop talking to me during commercials,” disease and has stooped as low as to pretend he IS sleeping, when I know he is NOT – silly men!