Something Witchy This Way Comes

Anne (Texas Belle) cracked me up earlier this week at her commentary on Halloween. I’ve ever been one to spend a lot of moolah on Halloween costumes. Caitlin wants to be a witch this year and I just snagged the cutest witch ensemble on Ebay, complete with hat, for less than $10, including shipping. My Ebay skills are not rusty after all. (At one point I was one PayPal purchase away from entering myself into an Ebay 12 Step program but then I took up blogging.)

I’d love to find Amelia a Dorothy costume (as in Wizard of Oz, not Wiggles Dinosaur friend), but so far the options on Ebay are out of my price range so she’ll probably wear Caitlin’s second Halloween costume from three years ago. Just look at how happy pissed off Caitlin looked at daycare dressed like a stuffed flower while all her other 16-month-old buddies were dainty ballerinas and princesses and fairies in tulle and lace. What you can’t see in this cropped photo is that I forgot to send tights or leggings to wear under her costume so she she basically went trick or treating at school as a diaper-clad flower with chunky toddler legs.

Last year Caitlin was a ghost, and I believe she was the cutest 3-year-old ghost in our neighborhood. Considering I have not a crafty gene in my body I was quite impressed that I somehow MacGyvered her ghost costume from a crib sheet and black felt and a little face paint.

Speaking of costumes, is it just me or is this “little girls” fairy costume online at Target vaguely reminiscent of a German beer hall girl? And would this costume be a red flag? You know Caitlin’s costume choices are fairly innocent at this stage. When she’s 8 will she proclaim, “Mommy I want to dress up like a Bratz doll! I need to show more navel!!” I really hope not.

Now this pet costume? Classic. Although I have no idea how people get their pets to actually concede to wearing a costume. We can barely get Bailey and Jack to stand still for their collars and leashes.

So do you buy Halloween costumes or make them? Do you dress Fifi up like a Hula girl? And, most importantly, when shopping for Halloween candy do you buy your personal favorites to ensure that any leftovers don’t go to waste?

Edited to add: I am not a big cat lover mainly because I’m allergic to them and if I spend time around a cat I end up clawing my eyes out and looking like I’ve been up smoking ganga all night. But here’s a link to some kitty costumes. I don’t want to leave out our cat lovin’ friends. Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

1. R*belle says:

I am irritated with Halloween. They don’t dress up at daycare as it is the Baptist church, and that is fine with me, but really, at 1 and 2 what is the POINT? MOre pictures of my children with glum looks on thier faces? I am going to look on ebay, but their costumes this year will prob be something that they can wear regular clothes and be. Maybe a princess in a pretty dress and a farmer or something… no idea.

2. Holly Schwendiman says:

My kids are going as Fred and Daphne this year. It’s been a hodgepodge (sp?) for me. Some years we use/get some given to us by friends, others I’ve bought at a store. This year I bought the first one online. Guess we’ll see how that goes. In the past I’ve kept old costumes in the dress up trunk so we’ve reused a lot. Sometimes the best come about with the most simple things though!

Hugs,
    Holly
    Holly’s Corner

3. Nicole says:

The last two years I’ve snagged cute costumes at consignment sales. This year we may go with the princess/angel/fairy theme, as we have a pink dress-up dress and some wings.

4. Kristen says:

Okay, the pet costumes are a bit much. And yeah, I totally buy the candy that *I* like. I’m really thoughtful that way.

5. Amanda says:

I am making Hannah’s costume and Gracie is going to be a pumpkin.

I buy my favorite candy because I should not have leftovers that I don’t like.

R*Belle, this is why I no longer feel strong ties to the Baptist church! LOL

Holly, that sounds really cute! I love the Flintstones. (OOPS…my best friend just e-mailed me and said this is Scooby Doo…uh wrong show…I need more caffeine today.)

Nicole, whatever works and is easy is my motto.

Kristen, yes I agree on the pet costumes. They’re cute, in theory, but really my dogs would take one look at them and run away. Either that or they would pee on them when I wasn’t looking.

Amanda, you’ll have to post some photos of your kids! I am impressed with your sewing ability!

7. jag says:

Usually I make my costumes (I won a contest at the Bellevue Pub one year for my Medusa costume made from a sheet, a swimming cap and a whole bunch of rubber snakes), but this year, what with everything going on, I’m buying ours.

As for the dog costumes, usually I don’t bother, but I found the cutest one ever this year so I bought it. The other dog will be wearing a Halloween-themed bandana.

8. MamaChristy says:

Well, my boy HATES hats unless they are kis idea, so we have to think of something that doesn’t include a hat for it to make sense. Also, we live in Texas and it isn’t always cool enough for those really cute and warm costumes that they sell for the little ones.

Last year my boy was Superman because he got the cutest Superman t-shirt for his birthday. Blue pants, red socks and a red felt cape (felt doesn’t have to be sewn!) and he was comfortable and cute and could wear everything again.

This year, he and his daddy are dressing up together. The boy will wear white, flowing pants with a long-sleeved white tee and a black belt. His dad will be wearing white pants, a white shirt and a green belt. The will be (and let’s face it is) the master and my husband is the student. The boy has been “judo choping” and “judo kicking” for a while so this is going to be fun

9. Bluegrass Mama says:

When our son was little, I made him some gorgeous costumes–Pinocchio, a white rabbit, and even a shark. Our daughter’s been stuck with the store-bought variety, but she seems to prefer it. I was thrilled last year when she recycled her Mortician Addams costume into something she referred to as a “Gothic princess.”

10. mayberry says:

I’ve bought, borrowed, and cobbled together from household stuff. This year Opie is going to be a zebra ($5, consignment store) and Jo is going to be a fairy (free, dress up box).

11. bridgermama says:

K is freakishly picky about what B is for halloween, so here we sit no costume in sight. Poor baby will probably end up being Barney or some other costume that didn’t sell out.

12. Renee says:

I, unfortunately, am the opposite. I’m too lazy to create, so I pay way too much for costumes. I now owe Lillian Vernon $90 bucks for 3 costumes. Sigh…