When the Cats Are Away, the Mouse Folds Laundry

Pretty in Yellow

Originally uploaded by blondemom.

Sometimes I forget what it’s like to have just one child. Just one blur of energy to chase down in a restaurant. Just one melodious giggle. Just one pair of jammies and one toothbrush to contend with at bedtime. And you know what? It is easier. But it’s awfully quiet.

Caitlin spent yesterday and last night with my mom and Amelia went to daycare for a half day until I picked her up for her 18-month well visit. She weighs 24.4 pounds and although she seems like a pretty good size girl to me, I looked in Caitlin’s baby book (yes she had an actual baby book that I actually wrote in!) and she was 26.4 pounds at 18 months. I still can’t quite wrap my brain around the fact that my baby girl is a year and a half.

So what amazing things is Amelia up to?

Saying thank you.
Brushing her teeth. She loves, loves to brush her teeth and I just bought her a brunette Barbie toothbrush. I think it’s actually more the love of the running water and making a mess that appeals to her.
Climbing, climbing, and more climbing and aging me just a little bit each time she nearly falls.
Bonking her head on any and all hard surfaces. Bonus points for sharp corners and glass!
Stalking big sister around the house.
Giving Bailey our dog more gray whiskers.

Any way, you’d think with a few hours of freedom from children yesterday I’d have done something fun like a lunch outing, but I tackled the laundry dunes before they completely took over our home and we’re featured on an Oprah special intervention episode on bad housekeeping. Yesterday I organized the girls’ closet and packed away bits of summer gingham and floral sundresses.

This weekend the hubby and I are going to attempt to go to dinner and a movie (we’re thinking of seeing Little Miss Sunshine….anyone have a review? Thumbs up? Thumbs down?) I’ve been informally surveying friends about date night. It seems like our random every 6 to 8 week date night is fairly pathetic considering we have free babysitting via the grandparents. And although they live a good 40 minutes away, it just takes a little planning to pull off a date night. So one of my fall resolutions (what, you don’t have fall resolutions?) is to start planning a date night at least once a month. What about you?

1. mothergoosemouse says:

Our daycare has “Parents Night Out” once a month. Two teachers stay at school from 6-9:30pm and watch the kids there – $15 for the first kid, $10 for each additional kid. We always do PNO, plus another date night or two during the month. And PNO is a great moneymaker for the teachers. Maybe your daycare would be interested in starting something similar!

Julie:

I was on a parents committee two years ago for our daycare. One of the ideas we proposed was a Parents Night Out but nothing came of it. I agree…it’s a win/win for the frazzled working parents who need a little date, and for the daycare! Maybe I need to bring this up to the director.

3. Colleen says:

Jamie, we saw, “Little Miss Sunshine,” last weekend on our date and LOVED it. It was so, so funny. I hope you guys go see it!

Amelia and Delaney are a lot alike. Delaney’s 18 months old tomorrow and looking at your list of what Amelia’s up to now reminds me so much of Delaney. I’m curious to see what she weighs too at her appointment next week.

I think your fall resolution is a great idea. If we don’t take the initiative and make time for dates with our husbands, they’ll never happen. I’m going to work on getting at least a regular, monthly date going too. Let me know how your resolution works out!

4. Renee says:

Yippee for liking to brush her teeth! John hates he; we have to force him. And double yippee for adults night out!

5. Amanda says:

I hope you have a great date night.

I sometimes like it when there is one baby in the house.

I am going to work on date night also. I love when I can hold my husband’s hand and not be pushing a stroller.

Amelia is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!

Take Care!!!

6. mayberry says:

We are supposed to be on a date right now. And we are not because Little Miss Sunshine is already gone from our local theaters. Damn!! It is the ONLY movie I wanted to see, so here we are at home.

7. Mrs. Flinger says:

OH, I love MotherGooseMoose’s day care idea. That right there is reason enough for me to want daycare. 🙂

I think organizing is a way of relaxing for me. Speaking of, while my kid jumps in her crib, I’ll be packing up the office today. That’s what *I* do with an hour and a half of free time. *Sigh* (oh. And comment. Obviously)