Never Underestimate Station Wagon Mom

There was nearly a Jerry Springer type altercation in the daycare parking lot yesterday at pick up. The lot is very narrow with room for about four cars in front and about six more cars along the side of the building. If you don’t snag one of those choice spots you have to drive up a small hill and park in the back forty and haul your kid(s) and all their artwork, etc. Caitlin loves to park on the hill because we pass by her class playground and she can yell at her friends and teachers. She’s a ham like that.

Well yesterday it was the equivalent of a parking perfect storm. The only thing that would have made it more Armageddon-esque is if it had been raining. But it was a picture perfect fall day and portrait pickup day so apparently every parent came wheeling in at 5 p.m. on the dot and it was more crowded than I’ve ever seen it in the three plus years I’ve been parking there. I sat like a vulture waiting for someone to leave and finally ended up parking on the hill practically in the woods. As I was parking I overheard a mom getting out of a station wagon saying to another mom something along the lines of “That bitch wouldn’t move her truck and I had to sit here for 20 minutes waiting for someone to leave!” Luckily no kids were within earshot. I had to laugh because I automatically knew of which bitch she speaketh. There are two moms who have the obnoxious habit of chatting in the parking lot and taking up two spaces while their kids play in the bed of the truck and all the while other parents are hovering and waiting for their chance to whip in a vacant space. I told the frustrated mom that perhaps she should talk to the daycare owner/director about it and that I would also complain about it. Then I saw station wagon mom this morning and she said she’d left the director a voice mail message. She said, “I’m sorry I was so mad, but it was like that scene from Fried Green Tomatoes…I’m older and I’ve got better insurance!” I like her. She’s got spunk. I’m hoping the director sends a nice innocuous letter to parents to the effect of “Please be considerate when dropping off and picking up your children and do not socialize in the lot as parking is limited.”

Tonight at pick up I didn’t see station wagon mom or pickup truck mom. I’m preparing myself for a Jerry Springer throw down some time, though. My money is on station wagon mom. How ’bout you?

1. Sarah says:

I go with the station wagon mom also. Life gets so boring now that those Jerry Springer moments really make my week…as long as I am not involved! I am way more of a lover than a fighter.

Me, too Sarah. Me, too. 😉

I didn’t see either of them this morning. Maybe station wagon mom has cooled off by now. She really made me laugh, though.

3. Mo says:

Too funny! Our daycare is an at-home one. It’s a race every morning/evening to get a spot in the driveway (and hope no one blocks you in) and not have to park on the street and walk.

4. Carolyn says:

I’d bet on station wagon mom too! She’s my HERO.

Our daycare has one of those portico things out front, for QUICK drop offs and pick ups, and there are two lanes under it. Obviously, only one lane should be parked in at any given time leaving the other free for cars to pass thru. It’s a ‘one-way’ lot so you can’t exit the same way you came in…you drive under the portico to the other side. More than a few times, I’ve been literally stuck in the parking lot waiting to leave because people are blocking BOTH lanes while they “run inside” for 15 minutes!!

5. Mrs. Flinger says:

LOL @ Paige. TOWANDA! That was a theme in college. 🙂

I like that mom, too. I’m all about the spunk.

6. mothergoosemouse says:

I’m guilty of taking up parking while socializing – either inside the school or outside. I need to be a little more considerate myself.

But my money’s on station wagon mom.

I do tend to take a while to get both girls once I am in the building. But these moms just hang out in the parking lot after they have picked up their kids. It’s not bad when the lot isn’t full, but when people can’t find anywhere to park you think they’d get the clue bus!

8. sweatpantsmom says:

Station wagon mom all the way!

We have a few ‘Pickup Moms’ at our our school, the ones who like to chat, double park, take up two spaces, basically anything to get on my last nerve. I’d like to slug a couple of them, but I just keep hearing in my head, “Mommy? Oh, she’s in jail because she got mad about a parking space.”

you’d think that people who have children might be more thoughtful than the average a-hole but unfortunatey that i not the case. more often than not they are even ruder. It’s unfortunate that the director has to be involved but here’s to getting something done. sheezus.