The Good, The Bad and The Just Plain Sh*tty

If you heard a toddler crying Saturday night because she stood up and fell off her changing table because mommy was distracted by child #1, there’s a good chance it was my child.

If you heard a toddler scream like a banshee out of the blue at Target yesterday, there’s a good chance it was my sweet 18-month-old flexing her vocal chords in the children’s shoe aisle because mama wouldn’t let her out of the jail cart. You’d think I’d remember that shoe shopping with kids never turns out to be a particularly fun outing.

If you saw a 30-something year old woman persuade her 4-year-old that it was just fine and dandy that all the giant kiddy car grocery carts were in use late yesterday (thank God for the Publix cookie club for kids as I was all over the “Let’s go get your free cookie!” angle), there’s a good chance that was me.

If you heard a toddler crying at 4 a.m. this morning because her mother was trying to force her to take grape Dimetap again like she did unsuccessfully at 1 a.m. in order to break the cough, cry, and wake up cycle, there’s a good chance it was my child.

If you see a 30-something year old mom at work today, her eyes glazed over and daydreaming of being back on vacation at the beach, there’s a good chance it’s me.

1. R*belle says:

I feel your pain, truly I do. I am currently working very hard on looking like I am working very hard.

2. Nancy says:

Too bad we don’t live closer — I’ve had one of those days, too, and it would be great to get together for a cup of coffee. SANS KIDS, of course. 😉

Hope tomorrow is better for both of us.

3. molly says:

Yup, 4am, I heard you during my own sleepless moments. My 15 yr old has been complaining of chest pains. They come and go. Taking her tomorrow to a cardiologist. Children shouldn’t be getting chest pain. Probably nothing, but I lose sleep over it anyway. Is there ever a point where you stop worrying? I’ve been told, “No.”

Molly:

That sounds awful! I hope everything is OK with your daughter.

I’m home from work now and both girls seem very tired so hopefully everyone will sleep well tonight!

Jamie

5. malia says:

I got to add the “first band-aid” to the firsts sections of the baby book today 🙁

Boo found a piece of broken glass in our backyard, was doing typical boy things like banging it against a pole and cut one of his fingers. It was a superficial cut but it bled a lot and required lots of hugs, kisses and cuddles. Well, that part wasn’t too bad!

I also forgot to mention that Amelia zonked her head on Caitlin’s bedpost Saturday. And today when I picked her up at daycare the afternoon teacher said they thought Amelia had hives (they are actually just bad mosquito bites from being outside in our mosquito ridden backyard Saturday). Awesome!

Malia: I am so sorry about Boo! I hope he got a cool Band Aid out of it. 😉

And Jennifer, I often feel like the girls collaborate on ways to drive me nuts.

7. Library Mama says:

If you see a forty-year-old mom/teacher taking a break from her mountain of correcting, and reading a friend’s blog to relax, there’s a good chance it’s me.

I’m sorry your day went so badly. Hope Amelia’s okay.

8. Big Pumpkin says:

I’m sorry you’re feeling blah….better days around the corner!

I shouted at my 2 year old today through no fault of hers, from my lack of sleep. I felt real shit doing that!

9. Kristen says:

Ugh. It’s hard enough dealing with the challenges of tantrum phases without sleepless nights thrown in.