We Interrupt This Blog for a Soccer Mom Moment

Our Little Scoring Machine!

Originally uploaded by blondemom.

Sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree. I was never an athletic kid. I was always chosen last for kick ball and was the guaranteed weak link during the dreaded masochistic recess game of Red Rover. As far as playground pecking order goes, I was down on the totem pole along with the nerdy boy who was picked on by the playground bully for his milk money and the kid who wore coke bottle glasses.

But today my girl made her first official soccer goal AND it was the opening goal of the game. Was I present to witness this athletic feat? No, I stayed home with Amelia who seems to be getting over her cold, but the hubby and his mom were there to see our little soccer star who went on to score yet another goal. Today’s game was apparently much more even handed as last week’s opponent uh…basically killed us out on the field. They had one Junior Olympiad type player who made score after score after score. It was like a scene from Groundhog Day. Luckily Caitlin and her teammates are too young to understand that they really got whipped, and apparently today’s game made up for the opener.

We’ve been really impressed with Caitlin’s coach. After each game he gathers the girls around to hand out drinks and a snack and he makes a point to praise each individual player and comment on their performance. He told Caitlin that she came out of nowhere and was a SCORING MACHINE!

At one point during a water break the hubby asked Caitlin if she wanted to sit down and rest with her team and she replied, “There’s no sitting in soccer!”

Edited to add: I nearly posted something about Caitlin’s monumental tantrums (two by noon!) today but I wanted to leave the blog all shiny and happy to end the weekend. Tantrums seem like a great topic for Monday. Mwaaa haa haa haa.

1. traci says:

How fun! There is nothing better than a good game your child enjoys and a coach who helps foster the love of the game. Sorry you couldn’t be there, but I am sure there will be many more for you to enjoy!

2. Shauna says:

I played soccer two seasons a year for six years, and scored one goal. Ever.

My parents bought me the promised TCBY banana split. It wasn’t that great, and I had little incentive after that.

3. Pattie says:

It is wonderful to have such a supportive coach, who actually recognizes the need for the kids to have FUN!
    Good for Caitlin….the scoring machine! Sorry you missed it. I have a feeling you’ll get to see many more of those goals yourself, though!

4. Jennifer says:

AWESOME! There is nothing better for her than sports and a love for them. I can’t wait to start getting Rugrat in every sport known to man. Right now, when I ask her what she wants to be when she grows up it’s “I want to be a baseball player, basketball player, soccer player and a doctor”.

*sigh* I love the picture! She’s so pretty!

5. Mrs. Flinger says:

I like that you don’t post about tantrums by posting about tantrums. 🙂

And YEY Amelia! Nice work, girlie!

6. Nancy says:

Good for Caitlyn! Mimi’s soccer debut hasn’t been nearly as successful — we spent the last 45 minutes of our one hour class doing “individual practice” (read: just Mimi and mom) on Saturday. I don’t think we’ll make it past this 10 week session, if that far.

Sorry you missed the first goal — but I am sure there will be PLENTY more.

7. mothergoosemouse says:

“no sitting in soccer” – I like that much better than “no crying in baseball”!

Congrats to Caitlin and to you too. It’s so great to see our kids truly enjoying themselves.

8. Dwane Lamirande says:

If quiters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said Quit while you’re ahead?

Dwane Lamirande’s last blog post..Garmin to launch GPS smart phone