All I Need Now is the Big Rig and Sexist Mud Flaps

I recently ditched my cell phone plan provider and I am now on the hubby’s business plan. The beauty of being on the same carrier is that we can now radio each other throughout the day and the time we spend doing walkie talkie time doesn’t count against packaged minutes.

We still close our regular phone conversations with our usual “love you,†but typically we use trucker lingo like “10-4†to sign off when we radio each other. I have yet to use “10-4 good buddy,†though. That just seems a little bit too Rosco P. Coltrane. I’ve also noticed now that we’re radioing each other throughout the day I’m less likely to talk as long. Come to think of it, perhaps that’s why he was anxious to add me to his plan. Hmmmm…

1. mamatulip says:

LOL! I love the Dukes of Hazzard reference!

I’m picturing you guys going, “Can you hear me now?” with your walkie talkies.

2. mothergoosemouse says:

Love the Dukes. Love love love.

We had Nextels at work. One of my co-workers would pretend that there was static on the line “pppsshhhh-James-pppsshhhhh-can’t hear-pppssshhhhh-talk-pppsssshhhh-loud-pppssshhhh-er!”

3. R*Belle says:

I used to loooove the Dukes of Hazard.
    I see people on those Nextel phones all the time and they seem like they would be really cool to have but that I would get tired of it after about five minutes…

4. Pattie says:

Oh, yes, your man had a plan! 🙂
    As I am reading your post, I conjured up a song from back in the 70’s that I am now trying desperately to get out of my head. Do you remember that song “Convoy’? Oh it was bad, bad, bad….

5. jag says:

Roscoe Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Coltrane.

Them Duke boys done fooled me for the last time. ShShShShShShShShShShShSh.

6. Sarah says:

Sounds like me and my husband, I use lines like:
    The chicken’s in the coop with her chicks,
    the eagle has landed, and whatever other wacko things I can come up with.

Also, my husband has to travel for business, alot. When he is in China or S.Korea there is about a five second delay, so that we don’t interupt each other at the end of each thought we have to say…over

He was in S.Korea for a month…..sucked talking on the phone but my trucker language got more creative.

10-4 over and out

Pattie:

I think I recall Convoy but then I keep thinking of Disco Duck and Double Dutch Bus (I LOVED that song in 3rd/4th grade). 🙂

Jamie

8. Jennifer says:

Oh man, I would have some fun with that out here in redneckville.

I’d have to work “69” in there somewhere just to throw him for a loop.

wow! Are those the ones that make that litte series of beeps after each transmission? you are way cooler than the rest of us now. beyotz!

10. Amanda says:

My father is a police officer and when he had a car with c-b radio he would let me play with them. He taught me all kinds of talk.

Men will do anything to shut us up.

Hope you are well!!!

11. Angel says:

Ok, you gals sound like you are from the south. I will reveal that I am not only southern I am a born country girl. I have tried to outlive my Pageland,SC roots by moving to Atlanta,but I can not forget getting on my dad’s CB radio and talking to truckers. It was the coolest thing to have in your truck ’til cell phones came along. You were the stuff if you had one. Of course our idea of a fun friday night was hanging out at the “Dirt Parking Lot”. I’m not joking, but I am laughing. Thanks for making me smile. I will not be able to see someone on one of those phones w/o thinking about this post.