I’m Still Kickin’

Caitlin came in our room at 6 a.m. yesterday and crawled under the covers with me, curling up beside me and sharing my pillow.

Me: “Caitlin, guess what today is?”

Caitlin: “What?!”

Me: “Today is mommy’s birthday!”

Caitlin: “It is? Will there be chocolate?”

Me: “I don’t know…Grandma’s making a chocolate cake for me next weekend.”

Caitlin: “Oh…the candles are blowed out?”

Me: “Well, not yet.”

Me: “Guess how old mommy is? (silence)
    I’m 37! Mommy’s old.”

Caitlin: “You’re old? You’re not gonna be dead?”

I do remember as a kid thinking that 30 was old. Old, but not dead.

1. Nancy says:

Happy Belated Birthday! And heck, you’re not old — at 30, you are still a spring chicken. 🙂

2. Renee says:

Happy, Happy Birthday!! I’ll be hitting that same number in less than 2 months.
    I’ll join you in the oldness.

3. Oma Flinger says:

Well Happy Birthday. My Birthday is next week and I dare not tell Caitlin how old I am because I doubt she would understand the complexities of such a large number and one being still alive.

Hahahahahahah.

You are NOT old. That is such a great age. Enjoy…think I’ll have a margarita to celebrate it.

Cheers.

4. kara in kansas says:

Happy birthday Jamie! Your still quite young-I turned 41 (get that f-o-r-t-y one) a couple of months ago-you can freak out after the big 40!

Happy birthday, you always brighten my day!

5. molly says:

Happy birthday! The thirties are great! if memory serves me. Yes, yes, it’s coming back to me now. Very productive, filled with child rearing, and love, and lots of looking forward, lots of things to do. You’re not dead till you can see a good looking man jogging past you half-naked and not appreciate what a work of art he really is. I decided that on my 50th b’day. And I’m still looking! (Popular jogging path run very close to my house, how lucky am I.)

6. Shauna says:

Glad you’re still among the living! I guess that means I have a very good chance of surviving at least another ten years.

7. Joel says:

Happy belated birthday…I remember when our kids started describing us as “old.” We tossed them out then and there…no, just kidding…being locked in their rooms for 48 hours was punishment enough.

8. Charla says:

Oh, Happy Birthday Jamie! I’m sorry I’ve been under a rock and missed it. I hope it was FANTASTIC!!