I Am Mommy, Hear Me Snore

Have you ever had a day you’d like to declare a “do over?” I got to work at 9:30 today. Honestly if I hadn’t missed so much work during Lungapalooza a few weeks ago I might have called in sick.

Amelia had a coughing jag in the night and threw up Spaghettios all over her crib. You haven’t lived until you’ve witnessed Spaghettio vomit. The hubby and I did double night shift duty. He stripped her crib and put on a fresh sheet and I rocked her and got her back to sleep. Then I woke up at 3 a.m. to Caitlin whining and wanting something to drink. My mom has told me I should leave a cup of water on Caitlin’s nightstand table, but she rarely wakes up and I don’t want to push the stay dry through the night thing but maybe that’s a good idea. I mean, my mom did raise five kids.

In my fantasy world where everyone gets a solid 8 hours of blissful, drool on the pillow sleep, Caitlin gets up, fixes herself a drink and goes back to sleep on her own. In reality, I have to drag my butt out of bed and then bring her a drink. I asked her twice if she needed to use the potty when I came in her room but she was so sleepy of course she mumbled no. I could see bed wetting in our future and indeed later this morning she stumbled out of her room and said, “I pee pee myself mommy!” I had a hard time falling back to sleep after she woke up. At one point I remember glancing at the clock…4:30 a.m. I don’t consider myself an insomniac, but if the kids wake up in the wee hours I end up so many times watching the clock, tossing and turning. I’ve always been a light sleeper and since having kids it’s gotten worse. The hubby? He could sleep through a herd of cattle running through our house. I’ve also learned to not get on the computer if I can’t sleep, although some of you may have seen me post a comment at 4 a.m. before. Any way, today is one of those days I need an espresso IV drip. Stat.

1. jag says:

You poor thing. Labor Day is coming up…a 3 day week will do you good!

I hope the girls feel better soon.

2. R*belle says:

I feel your pain! Beaux alternates between waking up for the day at 5 and sleeping late. Today, he slept late. It is a good day indeed!

Two cups of coffee and a Coke later I’m doing fine. 🙂 Fortunately Caitlin rarely wets the bed. Of course it would be on a night that Amelia woke up, too.

4. mothergoosemouse says:

Middle of the night vomit – especially something like Spaghetti-O’s – is just awful. I’m sorry, for all four of you.

We do leave a cup of water for Tacy, but she has only wet the bed a couple times. She has more daytime accidents than nighttime ones.

5. Shannon (Sentimental) says:

Oh are you sure you weren’t at my house last night? And spaghetti-o vomit is the worst.

6. Sarah says:

Oh, that sucks I hate those kind of nights. I live for caffeine it is the only thing that gets me through the day — everyday.

I drink so much coffee I might be in need of a support group.

Any support groups out there for caffeine addicts…hope they all have coffee and donuts. LOL

7. Pattie says:

Nurse! Nurse! Bring me that IV set up now! I have a patient in dire need over here! Heheheh…
    Oh Jamie, those nights are the WORST. Spaghetti-O vomit and pee all in the same night? *Yawn* I am tired just THINKING about it. Hope you got a better night’s sleep!

aww! I know all about stripping our bed after one of the girls wretches up dinner. That is bad enough. Never seen regurgitated spagettios but I’m okay with that. Happy thoughts that she is feeling a lot better by now. She must be!

9. Margo says:

Ohhhh…the drink-at-night-vs.-staying dry dilemma. So tough. I still don’t know what to do about it and my son is 4.

I’d been hoping things would be different if I ever had a girl…