Dreamin’ Away Again in Margaritaville

I had a dream early yesterday morning that I met Jimmy Buffett. The man. The legend. He who is still searching for his lost shaker of salt. Oh, and he was kind of short. And balding. But I met THE MAN. And also, he hit on me.

Here is my dream synopsis…I never remember my dreams but as soon as I woke up I sat down at my laptop and furiously typed out the details before they went into the mommy brain abyss of smashed bananas and soggy Cheerios.

I was on Murfeesboro Road here in Nashville and stopped at a Carribean theme day spa, which in and of itself sounds extremely seedy, and realized it was part of a chain Jimmy Buffett was starting. Well lo and behold Buffett himself was in the back talking business with his wife! I hung around for a while in the retail part of the spa trying not to look like a stalker, but then headed out to my car as I gave up on meeting the man. As I opened my car door he walked out into the parking lot and I knew if I didn’t approach him that I would be missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity! I walked over to him and said hello and asked if he minded if I got his autograph for my husband, who was a huge fan. We headed back into the spa for the autograph. I told him my husband would be thrilled to meet him and that we loved all his old school music. I mentioned that the hubby’s favorite album was Floridays and Jimmy (we’re on a first-name in Snooze Land) told me I was going to make him cry because that was his favorite album. I told him we first saw him in concert in 1988 on the Hot Water tour.

Any way, Jimmy was awesome in the dream–extremely friendly and down to earth–but then he started hugging me and getting a little too friendlly. He told me I was cute and he’d love to see me again when he came to Nashville and I was all “Your wife is in the next room!” and he was all “Just look out for her, she’s in the back!” and I was all “I want your autograph for my husband!” and he was all “Give me your number so I can call you the next time I’m in town!” and I was all “OK, my husband and I would love to go out on the town with you the next time you’re in Nashville.” I was digging in my purse for my business card to hand to him as he walked toward the back of the shop to find something to autograph. You know, a little something like a custom guitar or something. And then I woke up.

Jimmy, if you ever run across this blog, my husband and I have been fans of yours since the 1980s. We know all your old songs by heart. I realize Nashvegas is not your favorite place to land, though. Oh and we live in West Nashville.

1. Colleen says:

OK. That was nicely detailed and definitely worth waiting for! I’ve been to nine Buffett concerts in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, it’s been two years since my last one (it was July ’04, we were visiting Indianapolis, I found out I was pregnant with Delaney the day after…no wonder the beer I tried to drink at the concert tasted so funky!). I’m a huge Parrothead (hence my daughter’s name — Delaney).

2. Mayberry says:

Colleen, I love that Delaney song and I know another little Delaney-namesake.

Jamie, it’s very sweet that you showed so much faith even in a dream!

3. jag says:

Please tell me you knew that the hubby worked a mile and a half from Jimmy’s old house. I’m sure you’ve been by there, the old plantation behind Temple Hills. My mom still has the clipping from when the Harpeth flooded and rescuers had to go in and get Jimmy out of the house in a canoe.

Shortly after that, he sold the house and move to his permanent digs in Palm Beach. Or Palm Springs. Whichever on is in Florida. Or so I heard.

I only know the margaritaville song but have had a few parrothead friends. What does he look like? Is he an older man hottie? Must find out and take advantage of these hormones. cough

Well ya’ll he’s going to turn 60, I believe, on Christmas Day. I think he was pretty good looking back in the day but he’s just getting a little shorter, balder, grayer now. But he’s still rockin’.

Anne, you’re cracking me up girl with your raging prego hormones!

JAG, my dad saw Buffett at the Club at Westside on Highway 100 once when he lived here. That was kind of cool.

6. Library Mama says:

Too funny! I love it!

And I am so impressed that you were able to remember so many details.

Was this one of those dreams that you wanted to go back to sleep so you could “finish” it? In your imagination, how does it continue? Inquiring minds want to know!

Seriously, though, I’m with Mayberry. How impressive that even in a dream, you were so faithful to your husband while being hit on by a celebrity. 😉

7. Mrs. Flinger says:

You must seriously be a fan. I mean HUGE fan. ‘Cause I don’t believe I’d dram of Jimmy Buffet (esp short and balding? WTF? Go tall and handsome!) And faithful with short and balding.. yea. Easy.

But John Corbett? I’m all over that! Faithful with him? NOT. SO. MUCH. (He’s on “my list” though. So, I have freedome to do him if he’d put out. Per. Mr. Flinger.

8. mamatulip says:

LOL! You crack me up. I’ve, um, never heard any Jimmy Buffet before…not that I know of, anyway.

(Don’t hate me. I’m just a Canadian girl.)

9. Nicole says:

Your subconscious is crazy. And now you have me singing…
    “searchin’ for my lost shaker of salt…”

10. Tiffany says:

Mmm…brings back memories of when I worked in corporate marketing. We had a Friday team building exercise which was too dance around the office to Jimmy Buffet. Good times 🙂