Monday Musings

Is it just me or are purified ice cubes overkill?

Disney on Ice is coming to Nashville (Princess Wishes edition) in September. Have you ever been to a Disney on Ice production? Would Caitlin, who is 4, really love it or would it be overwhelming? And would we spend her college fund money on overpriced merchandise? Wait, I think I already know the answer to that.

My subliminal mind is on vacation. Last week I dreamed that I booked an impromptu trip to Jamaica. This morning I dreamed about Jimmy Buffett hitting on me (blog entry forthcoming!) It must have been the four chocolate chip cookies I ate at 10 o’clock last night. (This is why I never bake.)

Fast Company’s blog, FC Now, has a brief mention of the BlogHer conference that just took place. There are only two comments (presumably both from men). They have a fairly negative reaction to a female driven blogging organization. So what do you think? If there was a “BlogHim” organization would that send women’s groups up in arms? Would the women on The View slam on a boys club for bloggers? Personally I think the commenters need to read more about BlogHer before they criticize it (and the blog post has not been updated post-conference), but would a “BlogHim” phenomenon cause divisiveness? It is interesting to look at it from a male perspective, however the purpose of BlogHer is not to magnify differences between male and female bloggers. It’s intent, and forgive me because I am not associated with BlogHer and I did not attend, I would presume is to create a sense of community and support for women bloggers. So if there are any men who happen to stop by my blog, what do you think of BlogHer? Are gender specific blogging organizations a negative thing?

1. Amanda says:

The other night I had a dream that Brad Pitt was hanging out with me. I won’t go there.

Do you like Jimmy Buffett? I really don’t know how I feel about Brad Pitt.

Did you have a good weekend?

Amanda:

I am a Jimmy Buffett fan (my husband is a HUGE fan of his old school albums especially), but I don’t like Buffett in that way, if you know what I mean. 😉

We went to see Cars on Friday and LOVED it. Very low key weekend, though!

Jamie

3. Kristen says:

Because BlogHer has been in existence for a couple of years now, I think it would be harder for anyone to get up in arms over BlogHim. Besides, it’s my understanding that male bloggers attended this year – I don’t think they’re not welcome or anything.

I don’t know – I didn’t give the whole thing much thought, but it seems to be the only thing anyone is talking about these days!

4. Renee says:

I saw Disney on Ice once when the girls were little and I didn’t care for it. They didn’t either really. And I was cold too!
    Anyway, Jimmy Buffett, huh? Sure, I could see that.

5. Rachel says:

I saw a couple of DoI (and one Sesame Street on Ice) shows as a kid, and really had fun. However, it were not for 1) the blue twirling mickey ears flashlight, and 2) that this was something only me and my aunt did together (no other cousins, no parents), I might not have enjoyed it so much. May depend on the characters involved, too.

6. Bluegrass Mama says:

My mother-in-law and I took my son to Disney on Ice once upon a time. Except for the fact that it was so loud we had to stuff tissues in his ears, we all enjoyed it. If you can get tickets for less than $30 apiece, I say go for it!

7. Jenny says:

Thanks for visiting! And I’m amazed you recognized the title. None of my friends truly understand my love for Jimmy. Like your husband, I’m lovin’ the old stuff. But now I’m very jealous of your dream. Even if he is getting old. And bald. 🙂

Take your girl and have a blast. Even if she only lasts half the show, she’ll talk it up for weeks.

Jenny:

I am working on a post about my Buffett dream. I thought it was pretty hilarious. Colleen at the Delaney Diaries on my Blogroll is another Parrot Head!

Kristen:

You’re right…there were men invited and men actually attended BlogHer! Well, obviously no men comment on my blog so I guess we’ll just have to wonder if they really think it’s a gender divisive issue. It does seem like most Dad bloggers are supportive of we bloggers of the female persuasion. 🙂

Jamie

9. Mom101 says:

Thanks for pointing me towards the Fast Company piece. Interestingly, there wasn’t much “woman” (or womynn) stuff at BlogHer at all and it was a common complaint of the weekend.

Also, thanks for the great comment at my place today. I love your tagline up there, lady!

MOM101:

I just read your awesome comments at the Fast Company blog in defense of BlogHer. Hurrah! I especially like the reassurance to the BlogHer bashers that there was no armpit hair braiding. 😉

Also, when are they going to post something significant about the conference? The blogger did post about some of the product placement/test car driving. Hmmmmm. Sounds like she may have just wanted a free trip to San Jose for the weekend.

Jamie

11. lynne d johnsoon says:

I am the person who blogged at Fast Company – and I was actually a presenter on a workshop on writing for the web. If you go to my own personal web site, particularly my online diary (http://www.lynnedjohnson.com/diary, you will find that I live-blogged two of the sessions while I was attending the event.

Perhaps it was a failure on my part to not give a complete overview of BlogHer at FC Now. But I’m certain, I was not there only for checking out the products, especially since it is my second year attending the event.

How do you suggest I handle blogging about BlogHer at FC Now?

And given the two negative posts that you’ve already seen there, what are your thoughts if I had conducted around-the-clock reporting of BlogHer and every session I attended at FC Now and drew out even more of the same venom?

Lynne:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I’d love to read more about the writing for the web workshop. As a writer and editor myself that sounds interesting! I think it would have been really helpful to link to the live-blog posts, (I had no idea you did that and that was more of what I was looking for at FC Now). I realize, however, that you may not want to link to your personal blog via Fast Company’s. Perhaps you could have included some excerpts? I saw this morning that you posted at 1 a.m. at FC Now (ouch!) I look forward to visiting your personal blog and reading your live-blogging.

It seems to me that the two negative commenters at FC Now are just unfamiliar with BlogHer and should have read more about it before they made their comments. Again, I didn’t attend the event but several of the bloggers I read did and I’ve enjoyed reading about it.

Also, I hope my free trip to San Jose comment didn’t sound extremely obnoxious, although I’m sure it did.

Jamie

13. starshine says:

Just wanted to add that we took our girls to “Monsters On Ice” a few years ago. I thought I would have to leave one of them there to exchange child labor for the merchandise we picked up. Oh how they seperate you from your money. We picked up…

1. The twirling light sticks.
    2. Sulley and Mike Mugs that came with a snow cone.
    3. Monster Inc. Hard hats that only came with cotton candy.
    4. An expensive program

The girls enjoyed the ice show, but our wallets didn’t.

14. mothergoosemouse says:

Jamie, thanks for the link to FC Now. I think Liz’s comment was excellent, and I added one of my own. I attended Lynne’s writing workshop (also led by Lisa Stone) and found it extremely informative.

I think Lynne’s post at FC Now in no way sparked the reaction in the first two comments. She was merely reporting. I think those first two commenters saw “BlogHer” and leaped to erroneous (and insulting, especially in the case of the second commenter) conclusions.

15. Pattie says:

Jamie;
    Woah! look at the comments here….I went on over to FC and read the comments from the two gentlemen…

I like Mom 101’s comments, as usual. I see nothing wrong with a conference like Blogher.

Wow…perhaps I should have made the BlogHer/Fast Company blog mention a separate post.

What, you people don’t care about the PURIFIED ICE CUBES story!?! 😉

I liked Liz’s (MOM 101) comments a lot, too. Julie, I’ll have to check your comment out.

Jamie

17. Nancy says:

Starting with the last topic first, I haven’t been over to FC to read the post and comments, but I did not find the environment at BlogHer to be promoting exclusivity among female bloggers. There were actually several male bloggers there. Certainly some of the topics were female-driven or focused, but I don’t think it was an attempt to close the blogging world to only individuals of the female persuasion or those trying to promote a feminist or other female-driven agenda.

About Disney on Ice — I took Mimi to a Disney Princess show earlier this year, if you’re interested in reading about it I can send you the direct URL. I thought it was very well done (better than I expected) but the marketing pressure to load up on souveniers is pretty big — stuff to buy EVERYWHERE. It might be a good idea to get some cheap princess stuff at a craft or dollar store and whip it out at the event — that’s a strategy I might use next time, although I was pretty successful in just telling Mimi we weren’t going to buy souveniers.