Living on MST (Mommy Standard Time)

I’m a bit stressed because I have to do a telephone interview for a work project tomorrow at 8. As in 8 a.m. The funny thing is I work 8 to 5 so technically I’m supposed to be at work at 8. The brilliant thing is I’ve know for over a week these two gentlemen were saying 9 a.m. EST in their e-mail correspondence and it only hit me today that that translates into 8 a.m. CST, which is my time here in Nashville. I could actually do the phone interview from home, but between two small children and two dogs (one who is completely unpredictable about barking insanely at any given moment), I’ll be more at ease if I just get going and head on in to the office. So if you work with me, tomorrow is definitely a “skip the shampoo” day, although I will have on fresh deodorant.

Surely it’s no big deal to get to work at 8 a.m., right? We have a 15 minute grace period more or less so usually I roll in about 8:20ish. I mean I do have to drop the girls off at daycare and then drive the 8 miles or so to the office. But I used to be punctual. I used to consider tardiness right alongside other ills of society, like not opening doors for struggling pregnant women or running over little old ladies while they cross the grocery store parking lot. But now that I’m a mom I’m consistently 15 minutes late. For everything. I was talking to my neighbor last night and her 5-year-old daughter starts kindergarten in less than a month. The thing she’s worried the most about as far as the transition to kindergarten from attending Mother’s Day Out a few days a week? Getting her daughter to school by 8 a.m. So at least I’m not the only one struggling with the 8 o’clock hour.

Maybe if I practice getting to work at 8 starting now, we’ll be prepared for Caitlin to make it to kindergarten on time in a little over a year. Or maybe I’ll continue to live on MST (Mommy Standard Time) for as long as I can get away with it!

1. R*Belle says:

I will be heading to work at a little before 8 EST. Ill send WAKE UP vibes your way! (Oh send me some as well, I have court.)

2. Emily says:

Oh, I hear ya. I always had issues making it to the office on time, but much of that had to do with the one-hour commute. Now that I’m on MST, I am definitely running between right on time to 15 minutes late for everything – doctor, playgroup, you name it. I used to be so punctual – but I also used to have less responsibility.

Good luck with your phone interview!

3. Jamie says:

6:45 a.m. I am up! I have showered! I have applied makeup! Now I just need coffee because apparently Amelia got your wake up vibe R*Belle between midnight and 1 a.m. UGH! I’ve gotten spoiled because the hubby has been taking the girls every day at 9 while I’ve been sick. I am leaving early today, though, as I can still use the “recovering from pneumonia” excuse this week. 🙂

4. Charmaine says:

Good luck! I have a hard time making it into the office in the morning and I don’t even HAVE kids!

5. Bluegrass Mama says:

I’ve always blamed my post-marital tardiness on my husband, who’s always late. He’s actually improved while I’ve been backsliding, so at least when we’re meeting somewhere we both show up around the same time–just a little late.

6. Mo says:

I’m with you on the “skip the shampoo” days. When I first went back to work after having my son, it took me a full week before I realized I had to shower at night if I was going to shower at all… I hope my coworkers appreciated the fresh deodorant and my brushed teeth, because that was about all I could manage in the mornings.

7. Amanda says:

When it’s work I slide in 2 minutes late. When I have to go somewhere oh about 30 minutes. Explain that one!!

My alarm clock is Gracie because she wakes up every morning at 8:00 am. God forbid the day she wakes up late. We will all be in trouble.

I used to punctual too (which meant 5 minutes early) but something changed when I got married. He liked the notion of ‘fashionably late’ and so it was co-op’d into ‘our’ routine. Then the kids showed up and Blammy! There is no on-time. Not ever. I feel your pain.

9. Jennifer says:

I used to be SOOOO anal about being punctual. When I had the one Rugrat, I was all about being 10-15 minutes late. I’d point to the toddler as an excuse. Now that I have two, I figure I’d better set my watch forward by two hours to give me time to get to appointments.

10. Kara in Kansas says:

My twins are starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks, I’ve no idea how to get anyone out of the house before 8:00!

11. Kristen says:

It’s really hard, especially if you’re trying to drop kids off somewhere on your way to work. I have a hard enough time getting to work on time every day, and my kids stay at home!

12. malia says:

Actually, we’re in daylight time right now…as in, the baby wakes up at the first hint of daylight. Every. Damn. Morning.

13. Mrs. Flinger says:

Dude. I can NEVER get out of the house in under an hour and a half of starting with ONE child. NEVER. I do all the right things and still, never.

Right there with ya.

14. Sarah says:

The hardest part for me is usually I am running late and the kids want to put own their own shoes. Ten minutes…fifteen minutes later we are finally out the door.

Velcro it is god’s little gift to tardy old me!

15. Oma Flinger says:

Hey, no bath is great stuff and busy mom’s (& Oma’s) know this trick.

Besides, you’re safe. They don’t have smelliphone.