Drive Thru Surgery!

We have been home for several hours after the world’s fastest procedure…myringotomy with tubes. Amelia is sound asleep after feeling chipper enough to play her favorite games: dive beneath the couch cushions and search for Daddy’s cell phone. We had to be at the surgical center downtown at 6:30 this morning and I’ll admit I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Thankfully we sent Caitlin up to Spa Grandma and today she is headed to Camp Mimi and Pee Paw. I know I am turning into my mother because after waking Amelia at 6 a.m. and changing her diaper I brushed her wild head of unruly hair and put pink socks on her little chubby baby feet to match her pink bunny balerina pjs. Must have cute hair for surgery! Her procedure was scheduled for 7:45 and we were in our car heading home at 8:10! They just gave her enough “happy gas” to zonk her out so they could do the procedure, which we were told takes about 5 minutes. Although she was very upset when she woke up, I rocked her and they checked her out, gave us the scoop on her prescription ear drops and how she would generally be feeling. Honestly the part I dreaded the most, which was handing her over to the nurse, was fine. She didn’t even cry but she kept sucking away at her little thumb. She downed a big sippy cup of apple juice in the recuperating area (she couldn’t eat or drink after midnight) and snacked and played as soon as we got home, although she was fussy during the car ride home. We go back for a checkup in three weeks. The doctor said she definitely needed tubes and he was able to aspirate most of the fluid out of her ears. He also said Amelia’s ears looked as congested as if it were in the winter and she had a bad cold. So Amelia has “new ears” and we are all happy it went well! Thanks so much for your good wishes, prayers, and positive vibes.

1. Liz says:

So glad to hear your home and Amelia is “diving for Daddy’s cell phone,” again – love that game, btw, but we do it for money ;o)

Keep on truckin’ and good luck with the new ears!

Hugs

2. Nancy says:

Oh, I am so glad that all went well. The anticipation is much worse than the actual event in this case, huh?

I hope the tubes make life better for Amelia as they seem to have done in Rosie’s case.

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

Now that the surgery’s over, let’s hope those tubes do their job and keep her from those nasty infections!

4. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

I am glad she made it through the procedure just fine.Hopefully…no more ear infections!!! 🙂

5. kara in kansas says:

Congrats on such a smooth day!

Watching them actually -leave- you is the worst!

Give Amelia a big hug-what a trooper.

6. Charla says:

I’m so glad that things went well for fat bug (lol – that still makes me chuckle). I’m anxious to hear if her disposition really changes, too. It’s so great that she won’t be miserable with her itty bitty ears anymore!

7. mothergoosemouse says:

That was so reassuring. Thank you.

I’m glad that it went so well and that Amelia is in great shape. Please keep us posted (or just e-mail me directly) regarding the coming days/weeks. So far we’re still in the clear, but who’s to say what tomorrow will bring.

oh thank goodness!! I would have been worried about the handing over part and the waking up part. So glad it was smooth sailing!

9. Renee says:

Sorry this is so late, but I’m just catching up on my blogs after vacation. I’m happy to hear that all went well with her tubes. Hope everything is still looking good. . let me keep reading to see any new news.