New Identity

Caitlin: “Mommy, I want to be Erica.”

Me: “What baby?”

Caitlin: “I’m Erica now. OK?”

Me: “You want to change your name to Erica?”

Caitlin: “Yeah…I’m Erica.”

A week later while eating breakfast:

Caitlin: “Mommy, I’m still Erica.”

Now the first image that pops into my mind when I think of the name Erica is this:

Different theories were running through my mind…maybe she has a future in soaps? Perhaps the name Caitlin isn’t exotic enough? Perhaps Caitlin is too difficult to spell? After a little investigation it turns out that Caitlin’s friend Julie at school had declared that her name was Erica and Caitlin was just jumping on the peer pressure wagon. Yep, it starts early.

1. Library Mama says:

Maybe you should start putting money aside right now for all the weddings in her future. 😉

Hey, consider yourself lucky. At least her new identity is human. At one point, one of our boys decided he was a dog, so we treated him like one for two or three days. Well, sort of. I drew the line at going to the bathroom outside and using the dog dish at the kitchen table! lol

2. Renee says:

My Emma and Anna have requested many name changes over the years, especially Emma.
    My answer is always, ‘when you’re 18, change your name to whatever you want, right now you’re ‘Emma”

3. Emily says:

You have an autographed photo of Susan Lucci? Or did you get that off the web?

That’s so funny. I remember wanting to change my name when I was a little girl.

4. Kristen says:

Oh yeah, pre-school peer pressure is classic. My kids apparently LOVE spiderman. They’ve never seen spiderman at our house, we have no spiderman movies or figures…kids are the best advertisers.

5. AmberN says:

Preschool peer pressure? And I thought it was unbearable in high school! It must be worse for preschoolers who control even less than older kids.

Emily:

I just “copied” the Susan Lucci autographed photo from the Internet. 😉 I’ll have to admit I never was an All My Children fan, but I did love Days of our Lives in college.

7. mrsmogul says:

I remember Erica..she’s still on ALl my Children I can’t believe it! I grew up with her since it was my mom’s fave soap.

8. Nancy says:

I’ll never forget when Mimi came home and told me she wanted to get some “Nikki” shoes. I had no idea if she was referring to shoes worn by someone in her class or what. Finally I figured it out — she meant “Nike” shoes. Yep, that peer pressure starts way early.