I Don’t Get Out Much

I was a martini virgin until this weekend. The one time I tried a traditional martini (I’m not sure if it was gin or vodka-based) I hated it. So when all the frou frou variations hit the trendy circuit, you know, the apple and chocolate-tinis, I wasn’t too terribly tempted. But the hubby and I tried out a new restaurant Saturday night, where balloons and chicken fingers were no where to be seen, and they had an amazing selection of martinis. I had to try one because, frankly, the highlight of the day had been getting my freebie Prilosec Bunco set in the mail and getting caught up on laundry (party on!)

I am really a lightweight drinker. One or maybe two occasional glasses of wine or a a couple of Coronas with lime are enough for me. Sure there were those post-college single working girl years when my girlfriends and I would order Mind Erasers to jump start the evening, but that’s been a long time ago. So, in my current unhip fashion of finally trying something once it’s been popular for several years (i.e. like finally watching the entire Sex in the City series last summer while nursing a baby at odd hours of the night thanks to Tivo) I ordered a fancy schmancy Key Lime martini Saturday night and let me tell you…it was worth the wait. I drank two and I’m in love. Here’s a recipe I found online and here are some swanky new martini glasses. Oh, and these are cool.There’s even a martini “diet” book. The hubby tended bar for seven years and he’s definitely going to be making some homestyle key lime martinis this summer. Cheers!

1. Renee says:

I’ve never had a full martini, just sips from my dad’s because that was his drink of choice.
    you’re making me want to try one now!

2. Library Mama says:

Hmmmm… That does sound good.

Perhaps we will mix some up Friday evening to celebrate my freedom from the school year.

Our standard happy summer drink is frozen daiquiris or margaritas, mixed with crushed ice in the food processor.

The more I think about this, the more I’m looking forward to Friday!

Thanks so much for the link.

They were really, really good. I love key lime pie, though. And Library Mama, my favorite mixed drink is a margarita! Is it Friday yet?

4. Kristen says:

Every time I try martinis, I end up trading drinks with my husband. They’re always too strong. Maybe I need to try again, though, from the sound of it. I’m hooked on margaritas…that’s another reason I haven’t tried a martini in a while – stick with what works, ya know? 🙂

5. mothergoosemouse says:

Kristen, once you get used to martinis, you will drink margaritas like they are fruit punch. That’s what I did Friday night anyway…

Jamie, congratulations on your deflowering! I remember when I couldn’t get an apple martini in New York – they hadn’t yet made their way over from LA, where I first had one – but Kyle would make them for me at home. Mmmmmmmm.

6. Colleen says:

I had a key lime martini the last time my husband and I had a real date. It was heaven (the martini…although, the date was pretty great too). A friend of mine is quite the martini mixer. She had us over for dinner a few weeks back and proceeded to make about 6 different kinds of martinis. I only had two (otherwise I’d still be hung over!). My favorite was her ruby red grapefruit martini (there must be a fancy name for it, but I can’t remember). It was wildly yummy and went down oh, so easily.

7. MamaChristy says:

These fancy new martinis are like candy! Mixed with alcohol! But in a good way!

Oh, and I got my free Bunco kit in the mail last week, too, and it was so cool. Free is so, so nice.

8. Suburban Turmoil says:

Ooh, I love a key lime martini. Morton’s are to die for- they rim the glass with graham cracker crust and everything.

Now I’m wondering where you went…

9. mamatulip says:

I remember the first time I had a martini — I was in college. The first one went down so easy…I couldn’t walk after the second one.

10. Shauna says:

Wow, key lime anything sounds good. Although, when Krispy Kreme did key lime donuts a few years ago they weren’t too tasty.

11. Pattie says:

Jamie,
    I tended bar in college, and I can tell you martini’s have come a looonnnggg way! That key lime one sounds yummy and those mosaic glasses are cute! I am usuually a margarita girl, but I do enjoy a good Cosmo every now and then. And I never watched sex and the City.

12. J's Mommy says:

Ugh mind erasers!! I remember those from my 21st birthday! I’m not a big martini fan. Margarita’s are more my thing.

13. Mrs. Flinger says:

OH, honey, I am a Martini queen. Not that crappy olive shit. No no, we’re talkign cranberry martini mix with orange vodka. Oh, to die for. And that Martini book was in Mr. Flinger’s hands for Mothers day when I showed up with it. 🙂

14. Nancy says:

Oh man. I had an apple butter martini (sour apple liquor and butterscotch schnapps) a few weeks ago and i’ve wanted another one ever since. I was a martini virgin before that, too, but I think I’m definitely a convert now!

15. malia says:

I’ve never had a martini, but that sounds like one I’d like to try! When my husband and I went to Chicago last year to celebrate 10 years, we went to an Italian restaraunt that had bellini’s, they were fabulous, I had two!

When we got home from our trip yesterday my bunco set was waiting for me, yeah!! Now to plan that blogger bunco night…