Monday Musings

We took Amelia to an ENT specialist today downtown and the verdict is tubes. July 3 is T Day. That actually works out very well since I am off July 4th and can give her lots of TLC. (And could I possibly use any more acronyms?) My big question is, do we buy special ear plugs for her or just use cotton balls swabbed with a bit of Vaseline to keep her ears dry during bathtime as the nurse suggested? At 15 months old, she’s not yet mastered the ability to follow directions and she is a wild little curly haired mermaid in the bath, especially when I am rinsing her hair. So if you have experienced tubes with your kids and have any wisdom to pass on as far as keeping ears dry during bathtime, please let me know. The thought of not washing her hair for 12 to 18 months is tempting, but that’s just not going to work, unless we go for dreadlocks. Any way, according to her pediatrician and the ENT specialist she is a great candidate for tubes. At 15 months (and one week…today!) she is also soaking up language like a sponge and now pointing at everything and asking, “Dat?” Her actual vocabulary, what we can understand, is still pretty small but I think that once her ears are clear for the first time in months that she’ll start talking even more.

In other random thoughts, I actually uttered the words, “Ya’ll watch Fat Bug and make sure she doesn’t climb into the fireplace” while I was making a down home dinner of fresh veggies (yea for home grown zucchini and squash and tomatoes), hoe cakes, and white beans. You can take the girl out of the country, but you can’t take the country out of the girl.

And, in complete and utter randomness, if this couple ever has a baby, it may be the world’s funniest child. One of the most hilarious pregnancy books I ever read was Jenny McCarthy’s “Belly Laughs.” It made the “What to Expect” pregnancy Bible read like the Farmer’s Almanac.

1. R*Belle says:

Shhh. We don’t put anything in Beauxs ears. The doctor made the mistake of telling me that the “new train of thought” involved not worrying about it so I embraced that with a passion. Somewhere I found a link that totally supported me… I will hunt it down.

2. Mrs. Flinger says:

oh, lord, the Belly Laughs book actually (can I say this here?) made me pee my pants. Oh, comeon, I was PREGNANT and cracking up. Seriously laughing so hard I thought I’d go in to labor. Best. Book. Ever.

Now, sorry ’bout the Tubes. Seems to happen to a lot of families lately. I hear they work well, though. Hope for good and quick healing.

Mrs. Flinger: If I can blog about boobs you can comment about pee. 😉 Belly Laughs made me laugh to the point of crying (remember the blue Twinkie v*gina?) She has a newer book out now on motherhood and her marriage, which ended. But hey, now she’s with Jim Carey.

4. mothergoosemouse says:

Keeping the ears dry? Oh geez. I had better keep hoping that the ear infections stay away, because our next step is tubes for CJ (who loves rolling around in the bathtub and in the baby pool).

Please update re the tube prep activities, the procedure, and the results. I’m hoping it works wonders.

And again, you and Nancy and I are leading ridiculously parallel lives.

5. Library Mama says:

Best of luck with the tubes.
    My boys have had good luck with ear infections, and have not had to have tubes, but my nephew had them put in, and it was the perfect thing for him.
    Keep us posted. Hope all goes well.

Thanks everyone! Caitlin finally outgrew her ear infections by 13 months, but Amelia has had them since February and the fluid in her ears will not dry up.

7. Nancy says:

Ahh, I left this huge comment but my browser crashed.

So sorry to hear about the tubes. Hopefully it will be quick and easy for both of you!

We’ve done the earplugs with both girls — recently with Rosie we introduced those malleable wax ones that you can roll and insert. She’s not a fan of cotton in the ears (I think it tickles) but these don’t bother her. You could try the cotton and if she doesn’t like it, the wax plugs are easy to find.

Good luck — we are pros at the procedure, so let me know if you have any more questions. And yes, there’s definitely some scary similarities between our lives (you, me, and Mothergoosemouse!)

8. Renee says:

I laughed at the ‘fat bug in the fireplace’ comment. I find myself saying things that I can’t believe all the time. I need to start writing them down.
    Good luck with the tubes!

9. Busy Mom says:

Unless she’s planning to go under water in the tub for extended periods of time, I wouldn’t worry about it. You can get all the plugs you want, but, she’s not gonna keep them in.

From what I undersatnd, the biggest concern would be water that’s not chlorinated like at the lake or something.

You will be so surpised at the difference after she gets the tubes. The procedure only takes a few minutes, then off to recovery for about an hour and then you;re on your way!

Who’s doing them?

10. Kristen says:

What are hoe cakes? Because with the fresh veggies and the white beans, it sounds like something I need to try. I’m jealous you have home grown zucchini, squash, and tomatoes!

11. Jill says:

The tubes were no big deal for us. One fell out within about two days, before we even realized it, while he kept the other one in for about a month afterward. But after the procedure he was a new man. We never put cotton or anything in his ears. That’s just all precautionary follow-up instructions. Kids this age usually recover remarkably quickly from stuff like this.

Kristen:

Hoe cakes are like cornbread pancakes. Oh, and the zucchini is from our brother-in-law’s awesome country garden. The other veggies we bought at a roadside veggie stand. I gave up on my backyard garden this year!

Jamie

13. Jennifer says:

*sigh* Fresh veggies, its been years since I’ve been able to have a garden. I was going to ask about the Hoe cakes too. They sounded dirty. *snort*

Good luck with the tubes, I’ve heard good things about that and an exploding vocab!

14. SistaSmiff says:

My youngest had them and it was life changing for him. The procedure itself, surprisingly, was not a big deal for him (he was right at a year old when it was done). It’s harder on the parents than the kids. It doesn’t take long at all to do it. I remember we went out to smoke and before we got back it was done and he was awake.

15. Mayberry says:

Our ENT said we don’t need plugs unless the boy is going into a nonchlorinated water source like a lake or river. He even imitated his Swedish doctor friend saying “NAAAtthink. We tell them they don’t have to do naaaaaathink even for swimming in the oooooohhhcean.”

For baths, he said just to use clean water (instead of what’s in the tub) to rinse with.

Here’s a link to my post from the day my son got his tubes.

16. mamatulip says:

Good luck on T-day! I’ve never had to deal with tubes but almost everyone I know whose children have had them put in has said it’s been fantastic.

Thank you everyone for the reassuring comments. It sounds like the worst part will be the prep and waiting for her to come out of the procedure. She hates the new antibiotic she is on and she’s started rubbing and pulling her ears again so I’m ready for her to feel well.