Chafe My Ass Friday: Girls Night Out

We had a girls’ night out after work yesterday. A group of women, some single, some married, and one married with children (me!) headed to T.G.I. Friday’s at 5 o’clock on the dot. Margaritas were ordered, dinner was served, and we chatted about everything from work to travel to one woman’s recent breakup with her boyfriend. Then, appropriately enough, we headed over to the movie theatre for “The Breakup.” I loved the beginning, but thought the last 30 minutes dragged. And as much as I heart Jennifer Anniston, she’s typecast in my brain as “Brad’s ex.” Darn him!

A girls’ night out is very rare for me and I think it gets tougher the more children you have. I think this is just the third time this year I’ve done something in the evening sans hubby and kids. I’m definitely not out doing tequila shots or gettin’ freaky on bar tables, but I think all moms need a night out on the town, even if it is a tame one. And husbands need a night out with the guys, too. The hubby has been quite a workaholic lately, and I think he could use a night of smoking cigars, playing darts, and sipping on Scotch.

The hubby and I typically rent DVDs and kick back in the comfort of our own living room. There’s nothing better, though, than watching a blockbuster on the big screen. But the cinematic experience is not without flaw:

* Why does the theatre insist on charging a $1 extra for toxic orange cheese on nachos?
* Why do the concessions employees manage to talk you into buying a mega Coke and buttered popcorn after you’re completely stuffed from dinner?
* Why do people sit directly in front of you when there are rows and rows of empty seats?
* Why is it 59 degrees in the theatre?
* Why must you sit through commercial after commercial in addition to movie previews (which I personally like)?

So do you have any pet peeves about the movie going experience? And do you have a regular night out with the girls (or guys?)

1. malia says:

I’m with you on the freezing theatre temps. I always bring a cover-up. And of course cell phones…it’s bad enough when they ring during the movie but then the person will actually answer and hold a conversation!!

I bunco about once a month with some girls from church. Hey…maybe we could start a blogger bunco?? That’d be cool. There’s enough of us in the area…hmmm…I may have to run with that. We’ll see.

Malia:

I LOVE the idea of a blogger bunco group! That would be a lot of fun.

Oh and don’t get me started on cell phones. People act like it is completely normal to talk on the phone 24/7.

Jamie

3. Shauna says:

My main movie theatre pet peeve is that I’ve only gone like three times in the past twelve months. Maybe two. And only one of the movies was any good.

I also totally agree with your last point. I love the previews, and make sure I get there on time to see them, but why the ads?

4. mothergoosemouse says:

Blogger Bunco – now THAT is a good idea.

Kyle plays poker with the guys every few weeks, and I dig it because of the camaraderie. I don’t think many men get that, and I think it’s cool.

I used to go out after work with co-workers back in NY, also every few weeks. Here – not so much. I play Bunco once a month (with a really cool group), and my friend Stacey and I go out to lunch and shopping. Mostly I take my alone time to ride my bike, go to the gym, and blog/write.

Kim at After the Ball wrote about movies today too – she saw The Break-Up also!

5. Joel says:

I hate the fact that you have to sit through all those damned commercials before the previews…extremely annoying. As for a guys night out…nope. Between the long work hours and ocassional work related travel, I like to spend as much time with my wife as I can (everybody now, awwwww).

6. mommyontheverge says:

I usually go out to a movie once or twice a month with my sister..WHOOPEE, PARTY ON PEOPLE! I sneak in candy, microwave popcorn and sometimes a Diet Coke. But, me and my girlfriends try to go out to dinner about once every 3 or 4 months. And we DEFINATELY do a girls wknd every year. This is vital!

7. sweatpantsmom says:

My husband and I have each had our separate “nights out” since my oldest was born ten years ago. Sometimes I don’t even call my girlfriends – a few hours, alone in a bookstore is heaven for me.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is Bunco?

Sweatpantsmom:

Bookstores solo…definitely therapeutic. And Target alone? Sigh…

And Bunco is a dice game. It’s pretty popular here in the South and my sister in Massachusetts now plays with a group. You get to socialize, eat, drink, and play dice. I’ll have to check out a Bunco group, either in person or online…if that’s possible.

Party on people!

Jamie

p.s. I didn’t even finish my one margarita the other night. 😉

9. malia says:

Yay! The blogger bunco idea was just so off the top of my head, but this makes me really excited and happy thinking we could actually do it one night! What a sweet husband you have registering a site for it! I’m totally in.

10. mamatulip says:

Your husband and my husband are two peas in a pod. Dave would have done the exact same thing, registering blogbunco.com. That’s so cool!

You know, I hate going to see movies in theatres. It’s way too expensive and there are always people in the theatre who ruin it for everyone else by talking through the movie — to each other or on their cellphones. If I’m going to spend like, thirty bucks to see a movie, I want it to be quiet. You know?

And I try to get out about twice a month with my girlfriend — usually I just end up at her house watching Cops, but hey, I’m out of the house, right?

11. J's Mommy says:

I WISH I had a regular night out with the girls. The problem is, I don’t have any girls. I don’t have a lot of female friends. I DO love going to the movies though. My pet peeves are all the same as yours. I can’t stand teenagers on cell phones!

12. nancy says:

I have a biweekly or so get-together with Mimi’s best friend’s mom. It’s not a full girls’ night out, since we usually have the kids and get together at one of our houses, but we do drink wine and chat. We keep meaning to expand our horizons and get out for real (sans kids), but it hasn’t happened yet.

13. AmberN says:

While I do not have the obstacle of kids in going out with friends, it is next to impossible to get my mother to out with hers. She makes plans and then due to one of my sibling’s drama, she can’t make it and reschedules…then reschedules the reschedule. I do try to take my younger brother off my parents hands so they can go out, which is hard for them to do when I’m not home and easier to schedule then a girls night out.

As for theatres…I agree with MamaTulip, what’s with the expensive tickets? My family likes to go to the movies together once every 3 or 4 months but we can’t go that often anymore because it practically breaks the bank!

i never get a night’s out with the girls but that is mainly because i don’t know any girls. i think. at least i hope that is the reason i don’t get any time away from the kids. shizzle.